Donate to the DuckDuckGo Privacy Challenge to support our work to defend net neutrality, our right to online privacy, and free expression in the digital age. Since we were founded in 2011 in the lead-up to the defeat of SOPA / PIPA, we’ve played a key role in organizing the largest online protests in history, achieving massive public interest victories against some of the most powerful and politically entrenched institutions in the world.
WHO WE ARE. Fight for the Future Education Fund works to defend and expand the Internet’s power for good by combining a deep understanding of technology with hard-hitting messaging to mobilize people on a scale previously thought to be impossible. From fighting the expansion of censorship and surveillance to defending encryption to popularizing net neutrality, we run fiercely non-partisan campaigns that reach hundreds of millions of people, and give them the tools to take effective action.
We're protecting freedom of expression from government and corporate surveillance. At its best, the Internet expands democracy, free expression, and human rights for all. But governments and corporations want to turn it into something it was never intended to be: a mass surveillance weapon to monitor our actions and beliefs on a scale never before possible. From organizing nationwide protests to defend encryption around the Apple vs FBI case to mobilizing thousands of websites and Internet users for Reset the Net, which was endorsed by Edward Snowden, we’re fighting for a future where everyone has a basic right to be themselves, without fear that a powerful institution is looking over their shoulder.
Our top issues related to Internet privacy:
- Fighting against expansion of government surveillance programs by educating millions of people about the dangers posed by legislation like the FISA Amendments Act, the PATRIOT Act, and CISA
- Making encryption technology more understandable and accessible to average Internet users, to ensure that more people are protected even when the government doesn’t follow its own rules
- Running hard-hitting campaigns to demand that tech companies do more to protect their users data, and challenging abusive practices by companies that endanger Internet users’ privacy
We’re also fighting to:
- Defend net neutrality by mobilizing the entire Internet to restore protections against blocking, throttling, new fees, and other ISP abuses
- Through our 501(c)4, Fight for the Future, beat back policies that could lead to Internet censorship by fighting bad legislation and provisions within trade agreements like the TPP
- Challenge misleading narratives around immigration and terrorism that are used to justify abuse of civil liberties online and off