The Board of Directors of Zanesville Community Theatre has spent many hours doing both in preparation for the ”Setting the Stage for Growth” initiative. The common thread that was woven through the fabric of reflection and pondering is that the current Board of Directors wishes to ensure that many future generations have the opportunity to experience fine performance art right here in their own backyards at Zanesville Community Theatre… The goal of the Board is the preservation of this grand, historic building and Zanesville Community Theatre to have an energy efficient safe and comfortable home where generations can continue to learn, cultivate and nurture the craft of live theatre and our patrons can continue to enjoy quality performances.
The year 2016 saw the completed installation of a new roof and the renovation of the Women’s restroom thanks to the initiative, hard work, and dedication of the Board of Directors in securing grant funding, local match for these funds from the Board of Directors and other private donors. These projects were the catalyst for the “Setting the Stage for Growth” initiative. With the help of the community, this initiative can fund projects such as replacement and repair of the existing windows, sealing the exterior envelope of the building as well as the interior and dome of the building to help prevent loss of heating and cooling, making the building safer and more energy efficient. Replacement and repair of the current HVAC systems, new seating and lighting will add to increased patron comfort when attending productions at Zanesville Community Theatre.
The Board of Directors of Zanesville Community Theatre wishes to thank this community for their support over the last 55 years and hopes that you will join them as they preserve the community theatre tradition in Zanesville by “Setting the Stage for Growth”
SETTING THE STAGE FOR GROWTH is an Initiative created by Zanesville Community Theatre, Inc. The goal of our Initiative is to raise funds for preservation and comprehensive capital improvements of our existing facility located in the McIntire Terrace Historic District of Zanesville, Ohio. The INITIATIVE runs from May 2017 through Summer of 2020.
Tentative Project Listing
• Sealing the exterior envelope to prevent air and moisture infiltration through the brickwork.
• Seal the inside dome (ceiling) to decrease the loss of heating and cooling air to the outside.
• Replace and repair the existing windows and doors with energy efficient materials while maintaining the historic look of the facility.
• New seating (including stepped risers, new flooring) in the theater to conform to ADA standards. Front row would remain as moveable seating for wheelchairs and other flexible seating needs.
• Replace and repair as needed the furnaces to provide even heating and cooling throughout the facility. Backstage area and audience areas should be separately controlled.
• Tankless gas-fired on-demand hot water heater to reduce our utility costs, with the capacity to handle 4 restrooms at once. The current system is an electric hot water storage tank.
• Upgrade the emergency lighting, aisle lighting and exterior lighting for the safety of our audiences, actors, and staff.
• Expand the electrical distribution to incorporate the infrastructure required for more energy efficient stage and house lighting systems.
• Insulate the front window above the double doors and decorate the exterior with an artistic design created by Rebecca Wagstaff.
• Replace the existing 30-plus-year-old stage dimmers with energy efficient dimming systems.
• Install modern trussing to hang lighting equipment and support modern equipment with integrated control and power wiring.
• Replace existing 30-plus-year-old duplex and wireless, production intercom system with one of modern design allowing us to expand the number and range of the belt-packs.
• Other projects identified and developed once we begin the projects listed above.
All work will be done to code, proper permits will be pulled, as well as with the knowledge and consent of the Design and Review Board.