Youth Celebrate Diversity is building a grassroots movement of students and educators addressing social problems, celebrating diversity and making schools safe for everyone.
Through our innovative, youth-driven outreach, we ask students to identify the challenges they are facing—whether race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, ability and disability, mental health, stereotypes, and more. We then bring together students and teachers from public and private, large and small, urban and rural schools for eye-opening experiences that spark dialogue, insight, empathy and action.
Our vision is that one day, every teen in America will feel safe to achieve in school, no matter who they are.
Current programs include:
- the Cherry Creek Diversity Conference (Denver), a statewide event welcoming over 1,000 teens and teachers annually
- the Mountain West Diversity Conference (Gypsum), welcoming over 300 teens from Colorado's Western Slope
- the Northern Colorado Diversity Conference (Fort Collins), serving 300 teens and teachers from NoCo and Wyoming
- the New Mexico Diversity Conference for Youth (Alubquerque), a statewide event welcoming over 400 teens and teachers annually
- the Diversity Leadership Institute for Teachers (online), a professional development program centered on diversity, inclusion and equity issues for educators
- and our newest program, the Colorado Summit on Inclusive Teen Athletics and Activities (Colorado Springs), providing teen athletes and extracurricular activity participants a forum and training to make these programs more inclusive for all youth
While YCD’s programs have historically taken place in Colorado and New Mexico, we are actively working to expand the YCD model throughout the region and country. We are especially interested to make new connections in Arizona, California, Texas, Utah and Wyoming. If you want to get involved with our organization, reach out to discuss how to bring YCD to your state.
For more information, visit www.ycdiversity.org.