Here's a quote from one of last year's students who won the Live Your What Writing Scholarship to attend a week-long workshop at Writopia:
- "Ever since I was old enough to talk I was asked what I wanted to be when I grow up. I always replied with the answer they wanted to hear...a doctor or a teacher or whatever high paying and respected job I could think of. But never has anyone asked me what I was passionate about. That struck me as surprising. [...] But when I saw the presentation about 'living my what' I realized what I wanted to do. I want to become a writer. The funny thing is my 'what' was staring me right in the face ever since elementary school." - Theressa Bonne-Annee
After raising over $2,500 for the 2014 Live Your What Scholarship fund to benefit inner city youth writing workshops, we're back at it again! Our goal is to raise $5,000 this year: $2,150 for 5 student scholarships, with the remaining funds going to Writopia's juvenile justice writing scholarships for kids transitioning out of the system.
It costs $430 to send one student from Cristo Rey Brooklyn to Writopia for a week-long workshop. Keep in mind, this is Writopia's generously reduced rate for our underserved teens.
- “The Live Your What scholarship meant a lot to me. I got to see a different world I have known I have potential in. Everyone at Writopia was encouraging and willing to help - I was surprised to see myself coming out of the box with more creative pieces. I became a writer, and I really enjoy that I haven’t lost my passion for it.” - Bryan Martinez, 2014 Live Your What Scholarship recipient
- For the 2015 writing scholarship, we'll continue to work with Writopia and students from Cristo Rey Brooklyn High School. To enter, students will write an essay on their What, which will be reviewed by Live Your What staff. The additional funds will be allocated to young adults transitioning out of the juvenile justice system.
Writopia works with incarcerated youth year round and one of the major needs they see is that kids transitioning out of the juvenile justice system need both the support and hope that Writopia offered them while they were incarcerated. Not only does their continued participation with Writopia reduce recidivism, it is a creative outlet that gives them hope.
- Your tax-deductible donation will go directly to Writopia, earmarked for the Live Your What Cristo Rey students and juvenile justice programming.
Writopia brings in published authors, trained in Writopia's student-centered, fun and effective teaching methodology. Writopia's young writers are famous for winning more writing awards and publications than any other group of youths in the nation.
By donating, you will be helping Writopia to:
- Give underserved Brooklyn teens the opportunity to improve their writing and explore their creative side. Read testimonies from last year's scholarship winners here.
- Provide much-needed scholarships for youth transitioning out of the juvenile justice system, which will enable them to continue taking classes with Writopia. This is a much-needed resource for these at-risk youth and will help keep them off the streets and focused on their futures.
See all that gorgeous poetry to your left? That was all written by kids in the juvenile justice system. This is what your donation will help foster among these teens.
Just another extra slice of Wonderful:
Writopia doesn't just teach writing classes to these kids: they provide opportunities for their work to be seen by the public. Teens participating in this programming will have the opportunity to have their work in Writopia's Worldwide Plays Festival. There are showcases throughout the year as well as the May Festival, which takes place at an off-Broadway venue, with professional actors and directors working on student pieces. This past year, one of the CRHS scholarship teens, Doneil Jacquet, had his one act play presented in Manhattan.
- To find out more about Writopia, go here.
- To find out more about Live Your What, go here.
- To find out more about Cristo Rey Brooklyn High School, go here.
Live Your What Mission Statement
Live Your What is a movement dedicated to fostering passion in people of all ages and creating writing opportunities for underserved youth. www.liveyourwhat.com