The Woman's Club of Erie, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose objectives are education, philanthropy, and community involvement, was formed on December 9, 1897. In January 1898, the Club joined the General Federation of Women's Clubs and, in April 1898, the Pennsylvania Federation of Women's Clubs. The Woman's Club of Erie has been recognized over the years for beginning what is now the Visiting Nurses Association, founding the Erie Unit of the American Cancer Society in 1945, and for its philanthropic activities for over 100 years in support of organizations such as the Shriners Hospital, Second Harvest Food Bank, House of Healing, Erie Zoo, Inner-City Neighborhood Art House and The Caring Place to name a few. Over the past 20 years, over $29,000.00 has been awarded in annual scholarships to students attending local universities.
In addition, the members are committed to the historic preservation of the Woman's Club House, the former Davenport and Winifred Galbraith mansion. The Richardsonian Romanesque designed home was a wedding gift from the Honorable J.F. Downing to his daughter upon her marriage in 1892 and is listed on the National Register of Historical Places as part of the West Sixth Street Historic District.