EVENT DATE: Jun 24, 2017
Children's Beach, Harbor View Way, Nantucket MA 02554
Registration: 10:00 AM, Walk: 10:30 AM
Rain Date: Sunday, June 25th, 2017
“You can’t really understand another person’s experience until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.”
Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® is an event designed to raise awareness about violence against women by asking men and boys to literally walk a mile in women’s shoes – high heeled shoes (or sandals or flip flops). It’s not easy to walk in these shoes, but it’s fun and will help the Nantucket community think and talk about some difficult issues: gender relations and men’s sexual violence against women.
Men have the option of walking solo, or with a team (e.g., friends, family, co-workers, teammates, etc.). Each walker will be required to pay a $20 registration fee and raise at least $100 to walk, although higher fundraising goals are strongly encouraged! Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® Nantucket is organized by A Safe Place, Inc., a non-profit agency that provides free, confidential services to survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault. All of the proceeds from the walk will go directly to A Safe Place.
Questions? Feel free to contact A Safe Place by phone (508-228-0561) or e-mail email@example.com
- Men, boys, women and girls of all ages are welcome - walk solo or with a team.
- All are responsible for finding their own pair of shoes. Many online retailers sell large sized high heel shoes. Amazon has a variety of options (up to a size 16 women's).
- For more information about Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® Nantucket visit: www.facebook.com/WalkAMileInHerShoesNantucket.
- For more general information about Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® Events, visit: www.walkamileinhershoes.org. Licensed by Frank Baird & Walk a Mile in Her Shoes®
- For more information about A Safe Place's programs and services, visit: www.asafeplacenantucket.org