UWEZA AID FOUNDATION wrote -
Uweza Foundation is a registered non-profit organization based in the Kibera slum in Nairobi, Kenya. Uweza, which is Kiswahili for ability, seeks to combat the cycle of poverty in the slum through community-led intiatives that build upon already existing capabilities and resourcefulness. According to a survey we conducted among adolescent girls in Kibera, the most pressing challenges they face are:
- Early marriage and early pregnancy
- School drop outs due to lack of support
- Peer pressure
- Lack of direction in life
When you donate to Uweza, you are supporting programs that educate, protect & empower vulnerable girls. These programs are in direct response to the expressed needs of the girls involved and include:
- Scholarships (including school fees, books, and school uniforms) for girls in primary, secondary & technical schools
- Establishment of a "safe house" for girls seeking refuge from dangerous home situations
- Life skills training (topics include reproductive health, self-defense, and choosing a career) in our Girls' Empowerment Club
- Activities that build skills and self-esteem including a girls soccer team, art classes, a journalism club, and a dance group at our Community Center
Girls are Africa's greatest untapped resource. With your help, girls in Kibera can grow into powerful and independent women, affecting positive change in their own lives, their families, and their entire communities. Join the movement to educate & empower girls in Kenya!
Asanteni sana (thank you very much) for your support!