BENEFITING: UNICEF USA
ORGANIZER: UNICEF USA
EVENT DATE: Nov 06, 2016
Thankyou for taking the time out to take a look at my New York City Marathon Fundraising Page for UNICEF. This year while in the States I am going to take on my biggest challenge yet by running in arguably the largest and most famous marathon in the world - The New York City Marathon. Alongside 50,000 other runners I will cross through all 5 of New York's boroughs, starting at Staten Island and passing all of NYC's famous landmarks before finishing in Central Park.
For this challenge, I decided to fundraise for UNICEF. UNICEF has been unbelievably successful in the last 70 years in making a real difference to Children's lives who need their help the most. UNICEF focuses on Children around the world who are most susceptible to wars and conflicts, disease, violence, hunger and disasters. UNICEF now works in more than 190 countries with families, local communities, business partners and governments, to help protect children in danger and have built up a reputation as being one of the most influential and effective charities in the world in making a real difference.
Currently UNICEF are bringing aid and warmth to the refugee families sheltering in Lebanon, they are providing shelter and safety for thousands in Syria as UNICEF's mobile teams provide daily services to children growing up in an environment marked by unimaginable violence, deprivation and exploitation. Unicef provides life-saving food, clean water, medicines, protection and psychological support to children whose lives have been devastated by the effects of war and conflict. In 2014, they supported more than 8,000 boys and girls released from armed groups, helping them reintegrate back into their communities.
Furthermore, UNICEF provides 80% of the world’s life-saving emergency food. These can be in places that have been hit by natural disasters like Earthquake's and Tsunami's. Founded by the United Nations, the world owes a lot to the work and dedication of UNICEF and it's workers and despite the enormous difference they make, it's still not enough.
- One in 10 children now live in conflict-affected areas (an estimated 230 million children).
- In South Sudan, around 13,000 children have been recruited and are being used by all sides of the conflict, putting their lives at risk and changing their futures forever.
- In Syria, one in five schoolchildren are forced to cross lines of fire just to take their exams.
- In Yemen, at least 466 children have been killed since the conflict intensified this year – more than four times the number of children killed during the whole of 2014.
This is what your donations can provide:
- £20 can provide enough Water Purification Tablets to clean nearly 17,000 liters of contaminated water.
- £400 can provide a hand pump to supply clean drinking water to an entire community.
- £20 can provide enough vaccine to immunize 42 children against polio.
- £80 can provide enough vaccine to immunize 375 children against measles.
However large or small your donation can make a real difference in helping our Planet's most vulnerable children and make a huge difference to their lives.
Thankyou very much for reading, and get donating!