Truffle Butter Team - Mongol Rally 2016
Organized by: Justine Thompson
The Car, The Visas, and other Gubbins!
June 14, 2016
EVENT DATE Jul 16, 2016
We are Justine and Sefora. Two knucklehead friends who met through the Salsa dancing scene & are decidedly up to the challenge of the Mongol Rally. The Mongol Rally is a charity event hosted by a group of nut bars dubbed The Adventurists who decided it would be a great idea to fundraise for charity by travelling in a crappy car that will leave you questioning, "You're travelling to Russia in that?"
THE WHAT, WHERE, & WHEN
On July 17, 2016 we will drive 20,000 KM for 4+ weeks, along some 300 other teams. We will travel through desert, grassland, and mountain passages as we navigate our way through countless wildly beautiful countries on our planet. We will be driving a shit car, preferably one that wiggles, from London, UK to Ulan Ude, Russia. We will be on our own facing the threat of endless games of eye-spy, unruly border guards, hangovers, and soiled underpants… all things which have happened in past rallies. We will get lost, and doubtlessly it will be frustrating, but it’s all the spirit of adventure and raising money for good causes..
The Rules of the Mongol Rally are simple. (1) Your vehicle must be small & crap with an engine of 1L or less (2) You are completely on your own (3) You have to raise at least £1000 for charity. That's it! Everything else is up to us.
The Mongol Rally doubles as a wild adventure and a fundraiser. Our team is required to raise £1000 (approx. $2000cad) towards two awesome charities!
Without hesitation our team chose to support the humanitarian organization MSF (Doctors Without Borders). We believe that healthcare is a fundamental human right. MSF does a damn good job of providing impartial emergency relief and medical aid to people facing emergencies, disease, and war. These Doctors make the difference between life and death!
Cool Earth is an environmental organization that works in alongside indigenous communities to protect their livelihoods & create a barrier of forest to protect a larger landscape. The organizers of The Mongol Rally believe that forests are not only essential to our planet, but without them we wouldn't be able to get lost on wild adventures like The Mongol Rally. We couldn't agree more!!!
Other than fundraising for charity, this adventure fulfills Sefora's dream of documenting our journey through the Middle East to show others that it is chalked full of culture, hospitality, and more beautiful than what we see in the news. Let us show you the beauty through extreme car rallying! Justine is just happy to come along for the ride :)... and perhaps learn a thing or two about the world outside her comfort zone.
100% of your donation to our team goes towards the purchase of a vehicle, any necessary repairs, survival gear (I imagine temperatures in the desert can get a little nipply at night), and other tools that will get us to Ulan Ude somewhat in one piece. Check out the list below of challenges you can make us do or perks you can receive for helping us on our way!
If you would like to donate to Cool Earth or Doctor's Without Borders, your money will immediately go to them and you will be issued a receipt for tax purposes. These charities have fantastic platforms for making donations swift and secure, so hop on over using the links below to help out our campaigns!
*Please make sure to indicate the perk or challenge you are claiming in the donor comments*
- Unlimited Quantities 5$ "The Quiet Helper" - We'll give you a heartfelt "thank you" to each donator on our Facebook page! Every donation is important, and we value your help!
- (0 of 30 claimed) 15$ "Roadtripper"- Curated CD soundtrack of our favourite roadtrip songs that got us through flat tires, desert silence, and over the finish line in Russia.
- (1 of 25 claimed) 25$ "Pen-Pal" - Receive a postcard with a personalized message from us somewhere along our trip. How cool would it be to get mail from Kazahkstan?
- (0 of 20 claimed) 50$ "Fashionista" - Help promote us by sporting our official limited edition Team Truffle Butter t-shirt.
- (0 of 15 claimed) 75$ "The Collector" - We will send you something cool we find during the trip. It could be foreign coins, strange candies, bazaar/market treasures, rocks from a unique geographical location... anything that tickles our fancy. Who doesn't like surprises?!
- (0 of 10 claimed) 100$ "Conversation Starter" - Move over National Geographic! You will get a coffee table picture book of the coolest places we discovered on our trek across the EU & Central Asia with personalized message and autographs.
- (0 of 2 claimed) 200$ "Perk Master" - Receive perks from The Quiet Helper, Roadtripper, Pen-Pal, Fashionista, Collector & Conversation Starter (270$ value).
- (0 of 2 claimed) 300$ "Culinary Guru" - We will teach you and 3 friends how to cook a local meal from one of the countries we visit!
- (0 of 1 claimed) 500$ "Teammate" - At the end of the rally we will remove our beloved steering wheel. It will be painted and framed for you to remember your digital journey as Truffle Butter teammate #3 on the Mongol Rally!
- (0 of 1 claimed) 1000$ "Deity" - All of the perks (minus the steering wheel as sadly there is only 1) + you get the honour of naming our golden chariot + you get prime real-estate on our vehicle for a sticker of your business logo, quote, or even your face!
*Please make sure to indicate the perk or challenge you claim in the donor comments*
* All challenges will be documented for your viewing pleasure! Challenges will be striked off as they are claimed!*
- (0 of 1 claimed) 15$ - Build a respectable sand castle in the Gobi Desert, Mongolia.
- (0 of 1 claimed) 20$ - Frankfurter eating competition in Munich.
- (1 of 10 claimed) 30$ - Choose one song for us to listen on repeat for 2 hours.
- (0 of 5 claimed) 50$ - We will duke it out in a public pillow fight for 10 minutes.... in costume (think Trafalgar Square in London or another popular spot)
- (0 of 1 claimed) 75$ - Drink fermented mare's milk in Uzbekistan (thinking about this makes me want to yak - pun intended)
- (0 of 1 claimed) 100$ - Justine and Sefora oil wrestle Turkish style in kispet which are leather shorts made from buffalo.
- (0 of 1 claimed) 250$ - Yak testicles is on the menu for dinner. I hope Sefora has the stomach for it.
- (0 of 1 claimed) 500$ - Make Justine climb the whopping 1,776 steps (144 floors) to the CN Tower. The only way out is up!
Like, share, & keep up with our digital journey:
If you have any questions, comments, or just want to chat we would love to hear from you! Get in touch with us at:
Thank you for friends, family, and all the other lovely folk we have yet to meet, your support & generosity are greatly appreciated!!!