The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul (SSVP) was founded by Frederic Ozanam in 1833 with a small group of students from the Sorbonne University in Paris, France. They began assisting the poor in Paris by finding them suitable homes and assisting them with daily living. From there, SSVP expanded internationally to over 130 countries and almost one million members.
In 1846, the first Canadian conference was started in Quebec City, Quebec.
Established in 1886 in Peterborough, the Peterborough Particular Council is currently made up of eight conferences:
· Cathedral of St Peter-In-Chains Conference, Peterborough
· Immaculate Conception Conference, Peterborough
· Sacred Heart / St Johns the Baptist Conference, Peterborough
· St Alphonsus Conference, Peterborough
· St Anne's Conference, Peterborough
· St Mary's Conference, Lindsay
· St Patrick & Our Lady of Fatmina Conference, Minden
· St Paul the Apostle Lakefield Conference, Lakefield
The Council operates a
Food Pantry (Food Bank) Open Wednesday - Saturday 9am - 11:30am
256 Murray St
Phone: (705) 874-3937
(Located at the corner of Bethune and Murray)
and three Thrifts Stores under the Vinnies banner (www.vinnies.ca). The stores are located at:
Vinnies Erskine Open Monday – Friday 9:00am – 9:00pm
799 Erskine Ave Saturday 9:00am – 5:00pm
Phone: (705) 742-2585
Vinnies George Open Monday – Saturday 9am – 4:30pm
539 George St N
Phone: (705) 876-7506
Vinnies Lakefield Open Monday – Saturday 9am – 5:00pm
144 Queen St., Unit 1
Phone: (705) 652-9799
In 2019 we served approx. 20,000 people (34.5% children) from our Food Pantry, redeemed $28,142 in clothing vouchers at our three Vinnies Thrift Stores and distributed $17,461 of new beds to those in need, as well as numous other charitable works, within our local community. We are also a major contributor to the Lakefield Community Food Bank.
Thank you for your support!!!