The Healthiest Mile
EVENT DATE: Jul 09, 2014
DEADLINE TO GIVE: Jul 10, 2014
Welcome to The Healthiest Mile, hosted by Above + Beyond Cancer! This annual event promotes good health and exercise in the workplace by inviting everyone to walk or run one mile from the Western Gateway Park to the State Capitol on July 9th. The Healthiest Mile highlights the importance of a lifestyle that prevents cancer, improves health, happiness and productivity. This is an opportunity for the businesses of Des Moines to show their support for a healthier Iowa. Sign-up is free and all donations benefit Above + Beyond Cancer. Join us today!
What does Above + Beyond Cancer do?
- Provide hope and inspiration to cancer survivors and others touched by cancer by providing physically challenging and philosophically transformational journeys (events) that encourage cancer survivors and others “touched by cancer” to pursue lives of purpose, passion, and compassion.
- Provide education to the public on cancer survivorship issues and cancer prevention. We develop and participate in programs that encourage physical activity - runs, walks, bike rides, exercise, and education
- Provide a voice of advocacy on issues related to cancer survivorship, prevention, early detection and treatment. We give public presentations and help influence public policy.
- Provide direct services to cancer survivors by partnering with accredited cancer centers. Currently Above and Beyond Cancer collaborates with Mercy Cancer Center Des Moines to provide a weekly program of education, exercise and fellowship at the YMCA Healthy Living Center.
- Fund cancer research. A portion of our revenue each year is used to fund cancer research.