The mission of The Friends of EXPO Center is to assist at-risk youth, families and seniors at EXPO Center supporting the cultural, educational, and recreational programs at this vital community resource through fundraising, leadership, and advocacy.
With support from The Friends, EXPO Center serves more than two-million visitors each year. The Friends continues to be a crucial resource, providing leadership and financial support to maintain this valued resource for the underserved residents of South Los Angeles.
The Friends financially supports these extraordinary EXPO Center programs, allowing residents to participate for free or at minimum cost:
- EXPO Center Youth Orchestra serving 325 youth annually
- Afterschool Academic Enrichment for 125 elementary youth each week
- The Computer Clubhouse/STEM Center @ EXPO serving 215 teens per week
- Teen Leadership Development for 225 youth per year
- Impact Mentoring for 120 teens per month
- Youth Job Corps proving paid internships to 100 teens per year
- Over 2,800 Summer Camp Scholarships per year
- Swim Lessons for 3,000 youth per year
- Kids in Sports @ EXPO provides youth sports leagues and lessons for 8,000 youth per year
- Junior Lifeguard Training for 75 youth per year
- Senior Fitness - Mambo Mania classes for 75 seniors per week
- Cyber Seniors Computer Training for 25 senior per week