EVENT DATE: Oct 15, 2016
I am honored to once again run in the SoNo Half Marathon on behalf of The Center. I hope you will consider a donation of any kind.
This year, I am dedicating my run to my mother, Betsy, who passed away on July 1. Along with our father, she was our family's beacon. They taught us to treat all people with respect, no matter their gender, race, socio-economic status or ethnicity.
Last year, I dedicated the race to a young woman I know who was assaulted at college. When I told my Mom about the assault, I knew it broke her heart. She was the "world's grandmother". She loved all young people, and had an open ear and heart for everyone. She embraced my cause and did everything she could to help.
Sadly, sexual assault continues to be a national crisis. Consider:
- One in five women and one in 71 men will be raped at some point in their lives
- 91 percent of the victims of rape and sexual assault are female, and 9 percent are male
- In eight out of 10 cases of rape, the victim knew the person who sexually assaulted them
- As many as 1 in 4 women will be encounter a rape, or an attempted rape, during the course of their college career. It's probably higher, because most women do not report assaults at colleges
- Finally, one in four girls and one in six boys will be sexually abused before they turn 18 years old
On behalf of sexual assault victims every where, and in honor of my beloved mother, I humbly ask for your donation. I am grateful for any and all donations, and pray we can someday live in a world free of sexual assault.
About me: I am a 15-time marathoner. I have run Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Hartford, New Jersey and Harrisburg. I have been a runner since high school, and love to race at every distance up to the marathon. I am also a part-time employee at Ridgefield Running Company, married and the proud Dad of 2 teenage girls. I am a full-time journalist and live in Bethel.