BENEFITING: THE NATIONAL CML SOCIETY A K A CAROLYNS HOPE
EVENT DATE: Nov 02, 2014
What is Team 922? - A group of individuals running to raise funds to help support the programs and services of The National CML (Chronic Myeloid Leukemia) Society!
What is CML? - A cancer of the blood and bone marrow characterized by a genetic change in one's DNA in which pieces of chromosomes 9 and 22 fuse together. This fusion, called the Philadephia Chromosome (named for the city in which it was discovered), creates a cancer gene that turns on the unregulated growth of white blood cells.
What is The National CML Society? - A non-profit organization created by and for individuals living with CML (a rarer form of leukemia) and their families.
- Approximately 5980 new cases will be diagnosed in 2014
- The disease is more prevalent in males (~1.5/100k vs 1/100k in females)
- CML is treated with oral, targeted therapies called Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors
- In the past, CML was primarily a terminal cancer for anyone diagnosed
- Individuals diagnosed today can anticipate a normal lifespan with daily treatment
- The majority of CML patients must take treatment daily and for their entire life
- Current treatment costs fall into the $8k to $15k range per month
Please read more about the NCMLS and Team922 here: http://www.nationalcmlsociety.org/team-922
Thank you for your support in helping us to reach our Team922 goals!!