January 22, 2017
WARM HEART WORLDWIDE INC wrote -
Death is optional.
You can stop the smoke and save lives – including your own.
Buy “solid smoke” from the air
- Suggested donation: US$500 (17,500 THB) Buy 150 kg. (330 lbs.) of smoke – the equivalent of the smoke from 10,714,350 cigarettes
- Suggested donation: US$150 (5,000 THB) Buy 45 kg. (66 lbs.) of smoke – the equivalent of the smoke from 3,214,305 cigarettes
The burning season is upon us. In January, February, and March, 3,500 people will die in Thailand from smoke related causes. 18,000 will be admitted to hospital for smoke related illnesses. According to the World Bank, Thailand will spend 6.5 billion (THB) on their care. Everyone who does not die or end up in the hospital will suffer from sore throats, runny noses, red eyes, headaches – and die sooner.
Now you can do something real to stop the smoke.
Half the smoke that blankets North Thailand comes from burning local crop waste. One ton of crop waste generates 6.26 kg. (13.8 lbs.) of smoke.
Not sure what that is?
One kg. (2.2 lbs.) of smoke is equivalent to the smoke of 71,429 cigarettes.
Let’s put this in perspective.
The corn crop of Mae Chaem District, Chiang Mai – just one of many corn-intensive districts in the North – alone generates 95,000 tons of waste. When it is burned – and it is all burned – it generates 594,700 kg. (1,308,340 lbs.) of smoke, the equivalent of 42,478,826,300 cigarettes.
What can be done?
If a farmer converts five tons of corn waste into one ton of biochar instead of burning it, (s)he eliminated 31.3 kg. (68.9 lbs.) of smoke equivalent to 2,235,728 cigarettes. The farmer's labor prices biochar at 3+ THB (US$0.09) per kg. (2.2 lbs.) or 3,250 THB (US$100) per ton.
So what can you do to stop the smoke?
Buy it out of the air.
Buy one ton of biochar and you are removing 31.3 kg. (68.9 lbs.) of smoke from the air – 3,250 THB (US$100) per ton.
What will you accomplish?
- Reduce the smoke in Chiang Mai.
- Reduce the terrible public health consequences of smoke.
- Reduce rural poverty.
- Reduce the incentives for farmers to burn crop wastes.
What will we do with your money?
- 100% of your donation will go to farmers to purchase biochar.
- Biochar purchased with your donation will end up in the ground where it will remain forever, sequestering CO2 and improving the soil.
Don't complain about the smoke.
Stop the smoke.
Photo credits: Marisa Marchitelli