The mission of Special Needs Siblings, Inc. (SNS) is to raise awareness, support, and resources for the siblings of disabled individuals through advocacy, community, and education. We envision a world where all the siblings of disabled individuals – even in the most remote areas of the globe – know they are not alone.
SNS hosts support groups, workshops, and creates opportunities for other siblings-based organizations to connect while strengthening sibling awareness within the community.
History: Founded in 2015, Special Needs Siblings began with my son who has autism and epilepsy and his four siblings. I started to see the growing need for support and limited resources, therefore I created an outlet to help families in similar situations. Beginning with the use of the hashtag, #SpecialNeedsSiblings on Instagram and Facebook. SNS transitioned into a nonprofit organization in April of 2018 and received its 501(c)3 status in August 2018.
· Many of the estimated 4.9 million individuals with developmental disabilities (I/DD) in the United States have brothers and sisters.
· In the United States, 71% of the 4.9 million people with I/DD live with their families, yet only 7% of funding goes to family support services.
· Support programs and services have been developed for individuals with I/DD and their parents, supports for siblings have been limited.
· Siblings often have the longest-lasting familial relationships.
· Family caregivers are the largest source of long term care services in the U.S; from 2000 to 2015, the number of family caregivers is estimated to increase by 80%.
· Holiday toy giveaways to siblings in the Gwinnett County area.
· Siblings Speak Podcast: candid conversations with siblings.
· A resource directory dedicated to siblings.
· Siblings Speak Live: Online support group for the siblings around the world.
· Training in communities on ways they can support siblings in their area.
· SNS Tour – initial tour covering southeast United States.
· SNS Scholarship Fund
Monetary Goal: $500,000 (2020-2021)