Our Mission: Keeping Families Connected During the Alzheimer’s Journey
We bring joy to the fight against Alzheimer’s as we pursue our mission by:
1) Recognizing the challenges of the disease with honest awareness wrapped in a positive spirit.
2) Teaching people how to creatively connect with someone who has Alzheimer’s.
3) Encouraging caregivers and families, not just with words but by providing practical resources.
Our programming includes interactive singalongs, educational workshops, magazines, respite care, and community events.
1) We focus on care, not the cure.
2) We focus on practical and positive care.
3) We focus on supporting primary caregivers by involving family, friends, and communities.
4) We focus on joy.
Co-founders Eric and Sheryl Kolb started Songs & Smiles to help other families navigate the challenges of the Alzheimer’s journey. They know firsthand how tough it is to care for a loved one who has dementia. Sheryl’s mom, Trish, was diagnosed with memory loss in 2008 at the age of 68. Eric and Sheryl helped care for Trish until losing her to Alzheimer’s in 2019. Lessons learned during their journey live at the heart of Songs & Smiles.
Alzheimer’s is a disease, not a normal part of aging. The disease often develops slowly, but it always gets worse, never better, and there is no cure. The journey challenges the entire family, because it is distressing to watch your loved one slowly decline.
For the person who has Alzheimer’s, the disease starts by destroying connections with their own memories. But it doesn’t stop there. The disease also destroys connections between people. Friends stop visiting. Celebrations cease. Communities quit reaching out. Families drift apart or get torn apart.
We’re working to turn that tragic narrative around, and we invite you to get involved in this important work. Together, we can fulfill our mission of keeping families connected during the Alzheimer’s journey.