SMILE-A-MILE’S MISSION IS TO PROVIDE HOPE, HEALING OF THE SPIRIT AND LOVE FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY DURING THE CHILDHOOD CANCER JOURNEY. THROUGH YEAR-ROUND MEANINGFUL AND EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMING, SMILE-A-MILE HELPS THOSE IN ALABAMA WHO ARE AFFECTED BY CHILDHOOD CANCER THRIVE DURING TREATMENT AND THE YEARS BEYOND.
- Hospital Outreach Program (HOP) takes programming onto the Hematology/Oncology Floor and Clinic at Children’s of Alabama. In 2016, HOP served more than 250 people with more than 900 contacts.
- “Beyond Camp” for adult survivors of pediatric cancer - Beyond Camp is divided into two groups – Young Adults and Sustainers. The Young Adult portion is for survivors ages 19-25. They will attend a young adult retreat each year. The Sustainers are 25+. We provide these survivors with avenues for fellowship and opportunities to develop their leadership skills. It is our goal that the Sustainers will give back to Smile-A-Mile and become leaders in their communities.
- Bereavement programming for families who have lost a child to cancer - Remember Their Smiles is a day of therapeutic activities that honor children who have died. We want to continue helping these families through their grief and for them to know their child will never be forgotten at Smile-A-Mile.
- Seven camp sessions for more than 300 participants each summer at Children’s Harbor - On Therapy Family Camp, Sibling Camp, Youth Weeklong Camp, Teen Weeklong Camp, Junior/Senior Weekend Camp, Young Adult Retreat and Off Therapy Family Camp. Children’s Harbor is a separate non-profit organization that lets us use their facility.
- Supporter of a Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Fellow in training with the UAB Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. This funding is offered exclusively for the training of Post-Graduate Fellows in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. The fellow also helps provide medical care at camp sessions.
- Provider of more than 25 scholarships each year to Smile-A-Mile participants who are attending university, college or vocational schools.
- Year-round programming for siblings and other family members who are affected by pediatric cancer.
Smile-A-Mile Place is in the Parkside District in downtown Birmingham and is our new home for year-round programs.
- Smile-A-Mile Place will be a place of continued healing for pediatric oncology patients, survivors and families no matter stage of treatment or where they are in their cancer journey.