Scholars of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies for Refugees The events of the past 24 hours have left the nation and the world rattled. The United States of America is a country founded on the principle of religious freedom, and yet its current president signed an executive order banning citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries as well as all refugees from entering its borders. For those of us working in the field of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies, this forever reframes the important role the U.S. played in providing asylum to intellectuals fleeing fascism, dissidents from the Soviet Union, and more recently—to Russian nationals from the LGBTQ community. In light of our intellectual community’s close relationship to the immigrant and refugee experience, we* are raising funds for the International Rescue Committee (IRC).
The International Rescue Committee received an A+ rating from CharityWatch. 93 percent of donations go directly to implementing outreach programs, and the remaining 7 percent are applied to overhead costs.
This fundraising campaign has been organized by the Association for Diversity in Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (ADSEEES), the Society for the Promotion of LGBTQ Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (Q*ASEEES), and the Association for Women in Slavic Studies (AWSS)