BENEFITING: SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH
Celebrate our 20th Anniversary
Drill Team Motto:
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13 (NKJV)
Who We Are
The Faith and Freedom Drill Team is a performing arts ministry which began in 1993 at Second Baptist Church in Evanston, IL under the leadership of Deacon Anthony Agee. Youth are afforded the opportunity to grow and mature. From ages 3-17, the Drill Team is open to all children in the community regardless of race or religion, and they do not have to be members of a church. Most of the youth live in the Evanston/North Shore area but youth have also travelled from all parts of Chicago to be members of the team as well. The Drill Team has 20-30 youth on the team each year.
What We Do
Through creative drill and precision marching maneuvers (“Scripture In Motion”), the Drill Team brings the visual element of teaching, witnessing, praising God, and showmanship to audiences. Some of the signature drills of the squad include:
- Reciting the Books of the Bible in English, Luganda (Ugandan dialect), and in Hebrew
- Recitations of Psalm 23, the First Day of Creation, and the Resurrection of Jesus
Youth learn a variety of skills including team participation, self-discipline, self-respect, public speaking skills, integrity and self-esteem. When youth travel outside of Second Baptist Church, performances provide positive exposure and team building.
Youth also benefit from mentoring: grades are monitored, tutoring is available and support to parents and families is provided. Older youth teach younger youth, and former members have returned as coaches and mentors. In fact, the Drill Team is teaching the next generation. The children of former members are now performing with the Drill Team!
The Faith and Freedom Drill Team reaches beyond the wall of the church! It’s influence and impact is enormous. The Drill Team has:
- Aided the organization of seven (7) church drill teams (four locally and three nationally);
- Assisted in organizing a Color Guard squad for a public school; and
- Provides leadership, consulting and workshops services as requested to community organizations who have established drill teams
It has also performed at:
- Governor’s “All Kids” Health Insurance Program (Dunbar High School, Chicago, IL);
- The Chicago Gospel Fest (Grant Park, 1999 and 2000);
- The Illinois Department of Corrections juvenile and adult facilities and a work-release center (Chicago, IL);
- Homeless shelters for women and men (Chicago, IL); and
- Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc. (P. N. B. C.) and the Midwest Youth Conference, Annual Convention (ministry presentations and drill team workshops around the country)
With your donation, we can provide more youth with opportunities to build self-esteem, confidence and character formation for a lifetime.
Give $300 – Complete uniform including shoes, hat, & gloves
Give $250 –Cost of bivers (pants) and jacket
Give $100 – A pair of shoes, cap & gloves
Give $50 – Training manuals & props
Give $26 – Cost of a pair of shoes for growing feet
Note: This information is a compilation of documents written by Anthony Agee and Rhonda Craven.