The Richmond SPCA, founded in 1891, is a non-profit, no-kill humane organization dedicated to the principle that every life is precious. The Richmond SPCA is a national leader in humane care and education, having developed numerous lifesaving programs and services including those dedicated to adoption, rehabilitation, sterilization and education. We save the lives of more than 3,600 homeless animals each year and care for about 350 cats and dogs daily. The Richmond SPCA is not affiliated with any other private animal welfare organization or SPCA but we regularly transfer pets from local municipal agencies into our care so that they may receive lifesaving treatment and be adopted to loving new homes. Of the 3,600 homeless animals in our care each year, we transfer more than 80 percent of them through these relationships. The remaining 20 percent are surrendered to us by their owners. The Richmond SPCA operates a low-cost, full-service veterinary hospital; a free behavior helpline and offers pet behavior classes; children's educational programs; a free Trap Neuter Return program to spay, neuter and vaccinate community cats; and numerous volunteer programs.