BENEFITING: Retreat, Inc.
ORGANIZER: Retreat, Inc.
Retreat, Inc. wrote -
For 27 years, The Retreat has been providing domestic violence services and education to families on the East End of Long Island. Programs include a residential shelter for women and children, a 24-hour domestic violence hotline, individual and group counseling, legal advocacy for all victims of domestic violence, programs to engage troubled fathers and other men who may be at-risk of committing family violence, and an in-school violence prevention education program taught in local area schools. All services are provided free of charge.
The Retreat’s 2013 Statistics at a Glance
- The Shelter served 58 women and 59 children.
- Provided 4,006 counseling services to 449 clients, including children.
- Provided 619 legal accompaniment services to 160 clients.
- Provided 5,901 services of information, referrals, and personal advocacy to 437 clients.
- Provided support, information, and referrals to 2,960 hotline callers.
- Received 2,591 police reports and sent letters to all identified victims of abuse offering support and services.
- Reached 2,825 students with Retreat’s in-school violence prevention education programs. Educators provided a total of 131 sessions to the local schools.
- Provided community education to 2,341 individuals.
- Assessed and educated 78 batterers to take responsibility for their abusive behavior and learn new strategies to cope with relationship issues.
- 211 generous volunteers donated their time and energy to our mission.
- The Suffolk County Fatherhood Initiative Program served 268 clients and provided 2,911 units of service of economic stability, responsible parenting, and healthy relationships.