The Laurel Center Intervention for Domestic and Sexual Violence is proud to be a part of the 2014 Allstate Purple Purse Challenge! The Laurel Center is the only agency providing support to victims of domestic and sexual violence in the Winchester/Frederick County/Clarke County area and your donations will go directly to help those we serve become financially empowered to live violence free lives. Please click on the donate button, or even better; create your own fundraising page to help us reach our goal.
The Laurel Center provides emergency housing and support services to victims of domestic and/or sexual violence and their dependent children. Our goal is to provide our clients with the knowledge, methods, and tools to make healthy choices, cope with their present abusive situation, and prevent violence in the future. Our approach involves empowerment through support and education to those who are endangered by violence. We actively work to educate the community about our services by speaking to local groups and organizations. Prevention is an important part of our efforts.
We actively advocate for our clients in other systems to ensure they get the best outcomes possible for their situation. The Laurel Center examines client needs holistically and operates from a client centered philosophy. Services are built around client strengths and are trauma informed.
We offer 18 programs and services that constitute a continuum of care that we believe help victims of domestic and sexual violence to live violence free. Our current programs include:
• 24-hour Hotline
• Emergency Shelter
• Advocacy Services that include financial services, counseling, information and referral, legal & mental health advocacy, community support and/or educational groups.
• Support Groups on various issues linked to domestic violence and sexual assault.
• Crisis Intervention Companions who respond to sexual assault disclosures 24 - 7.
• Community Outreach and Education including visits to colleges, schools, and community groups to talk about dating violence, sexual assault, domestic violence, and the effect of domestic violence on children.
• Prevention programming that engages youth in understanding healthy relationships and preventing sexual abuse.
• Collaborative networking to enhance victim safety
• Community Collaboration and Housing programs that supports and enhances our clients’ desire to live independently in stable housing.
For more information about The Laurel Center, please visit our Facebook page.