Samantha Damms via Crowdrise
November 05, 2010
BENEFITING: PEDIATRIC HYDROCEPHALUS FOUNDATION INC
Top Five Facts:
• Hydrocephalus is a lifelong condition, affecting over one million Americans from newborn to seniors
• An average of 40,000 shunt operations are performed each year in this country
• Americans spend in excess of $1 BILLION to treat this condition
• Hydrocephalus is believed to occur in about 1 per 500 births
• Lack of advancements in treatment have left many people with hydrocephalus unable to lead full and productive lives.
In 2006, I gave birth to Identical Twin Girls named Kassie and Keelie. Kassie was one of those 1 in 500 babies born with Hydrocephalus. Since her birth, she has had 3 brain surgeries for Shunt Placement (which is what relieves the pressure in the brain), been through 50+ CTs to check her shunt, and has been hospitalized more than any person I have ever met in my 26 years of life.
I know firsthand the hardships of having a child with this INCURABLE BRAIN DISORDER!!
Kassie has had to endure countless hours of Physical, Speech, and Occupational Therapies with Special Education beginning at the tender age of 4 months old in order to reach Normal Cognitive and Functioning Levels. She is only 4 years old now. This is all on top of her Medical needs. She can not rough house like many other children her age. A headache, vomiting, and sleepiness (while in other children might just be a cold) warrant a trip to the Emergency Room EVERY time for her. If she jumps or runs, and falls and hits her head, we're also in the ER. THIS WILL GO ON FOR EVER
We NEED to raise money for this cause so that she and other children have other options for treatment, as shunting with surgery is the only known treatment at this time. There is also NO CURE FOR HYDROCEPHALUS RIGHT NOW!