My daughter, Cari was just 13 when she was killed by a multiple repeat offender drunk driver who was out on bail from another hit and run drunk driving crash. She was thrown 125 feet, and left in the road to die.
My name is Candy Lightner, and I founded Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) and now We Save Lives. We Save Lives (WSL) is the ONLY Internet-based collaborative partnership focused solely on the 3 D’s, drunk, drugged, and distracted driving. Our sole mission is to save lives by promoting traffic safety and responsible driving through innovative educational and outreach programs.
For the past 5 years we have been fortunate enough to receive a grant from the National Road Safety Foundation that, along with other sponsorships and individual donations has allowed us to successfully promote our programs with only one staff and a number of volunteers. But due to COVID, grant opportunities have been greatly reduced and your support is more important than ever.
Our ongoing efforts to save lives includes:
* Legislative advocacy, including efforts to toughen the laws on drunk, drugged and distracted driving in a number of states including Michigan, Arizona, Texas, Florida and Rhode Island., Colorado, Virginia, California and New York.
* Advocating through social media campaigns, newsletters, speaking engagements, and encouraging our 3D Lifesavers to take action whenever possible.
* Educating students, military, community groups and others through our speakers’ bureau, Promoting the Courage to Intervene Promise. We have found the best way to stop others from driving dangerously is to Intervene when someone is getting ready to do something life threatening. The CTI promise empowers people especially our young people with the Courage to Intervene.
* Developing outstanding educational videos and posters on the 3 D’s, including the award- winning video Reflections from Inside. This video has been seen hundreds of millions of times all around the world. We also developed the first anti drugged driving PSA, the Weed Advisor.
* Advocating against the use of the word “accident” when describing a crash, especially by the media. We had a major victory when AP Stylebook at our urging changed their policy regarding the word “accident”. We even developed a video highlighting the pain this word causes the victims and survivors of drunk, drugged and distracted driving crashes and crimes.
* Starting a petition drive alerting public official to the dangers of driving high.
* Promoting oral fluid testing for drugged drivers.
* Launching a petition drive to encourage Apple and other mobile device makers to add the term “ Drive Mode” to their devices. Apple did.
* Developing the ultimate White Paper to Congress on drugged driving, a comprehensive report on the problems and solutions to this rapidly increasing tragedy.
It is only with your help in raising the $100,00 needed that we can continue the life-saving work we do.
Why your contribution is so important: During COVID traffic fatalities increased not decreased as anticipated. We need to do more to stop these tragedies. Most crashes are preventable.
Please help us expand our efforts to increase public awareness and legislative support that will keep us safe when travelling our roadways whether by motor vehicles, on a bicycle or as pedestrians. give.
Please give as much as you can. Your donation will help us educate others about safer choices and it will save lives.
Candace Lightner, President