“We can do no great things. Only small things with great love”. Mother Teresa
In 2008, I had a first experience volunteering in Vietnam for 4 weeks and came back with a new appreciation for life. Over 10 years later… and grateful for all the blessings in my life, I feel a strong call to immerse myself in a community again and give back to others who have had less opportunities.
In September I am taking a casual stroll up Mt Kilimanjaro 😊 and will then volunteer for 4 weeks at The Small Things (or TST), an amazing organization dedicated to Family preservation in Tanzania (Arusha region).
There are ~3 million orphans in Tanzania with 13% children having lost one or both parents…as 8,000 Tanzanian women still die of childbirth every year (that is ~22 per day ☹)
The Small things has 3 main activities:
- A partnership the Nkoaranga orphanage (caring for 15 kids from newborns to 3)
- The running of family-style homes at Happy Family Children’s Village (35 kids aged 4 to ~15 years old) where kids have shelter and are educated while maintaining close relationships with any surviving relatives in the hopes of eventual reunification
- A family preservation program: 115 children’s families receive support to increase their income (education and vocational training, micro loans, mental support…) until they are able to generate sufficient sustainable profit to care for the family. TST gives chances, not charity.
50% of children have been reunited with their families over the past 8 years (vs. 5-10% without the family preservation program)
TST is also closely listening and responding to the needs of its community and has recently created a daycare to support mothers going back to work, and launched tutoring sessions every Saturday with on average 100 kids attending every week !
During my 4 weeks at TST, I will support at the Daycare and tutor in English, French and Math….as well as introduce mindfulness practices to the staff and teach Kids Yoga ! I am thrilled to be able to share my passion with the community
I am aiming to raise $AU 3,000 (or 2,000 euros) toward TST projects. To better understand how your support will help:
- It takes $AU 280 (or 180 euros) per month to feed, clothe, educate and provide medical care for each child
- A donation of only $7 (or 5 euros) can pay for a whole day’s salary for an extra mama to help out at the orphanage or for a driver to take the children on a trip.
Please look into your hearts and see what you can contribute using the “Donate” button. Every donation, however small, counts.
I will also donate all the contributions to yoga classes I am teaching until September to TST – so if you are interested in a private / small group class please get in touch !
Thank you very much for your support and generosity