The World Resources Institute focuses on seven urgent global challenges that must be addressed to reduce poverty, grow economies and protect natural systems:
- Climate: Protect communities and natural ecosystems from damage caused by greenhouse gas emissions, and generate opportunities for people by catalyzing a global transition to a low-carbon economy.
- Energy: Drive the scale-up of clean, affordable power systems throughout the world to deliver sustainable socio-economic development.
- Food: Ensure the world’s food systems reduce their impact on the environment, drive economic opportunity, and sustainably feed 9.6 billion people by 2050.
- Forests: Alleviate poverty, enhance food security, conserve biodiversity, and mitigate climate change by reducing forest loss and restoring productivity to degraded, deforested lands.
- Water: Achieve a water-secure future by mapping, measuring, and mitigating global water risks.
- Sustainable Cities: Improve quality of life in cities by developing and scaling environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable urban and transport solutions.
- The Ocean: We are charting the path for a New Ocean Economy that is good for jobs, economic growth and human health -- while protecting and restoring the ocean.