Oregon Recovers is an inclusive statewide coalition comprised of people in recovery–and their friends and family—uniting to transform Oregon healthcare to ensure world-class prevention, treatment, and recovery support services for Oregonians suffering from the disease of addiction.Within five years Oregon will be known as the “recovery state.”
- Addiction costs state $5.9 billion annually
- No single point of accountability or authority within state government
- No people in recovery in decision making roles
- Significant societal costs
- Foster care
- Youth incarceration
- Truancy/High school graduation rates
- Oregon ranks 50th in access to addiction treatment
- No meaningful prevention, long wait times for treatment, poor aftercare
Statement of Principles
- Oregon Recovers believes all Oregonians have a right to immediate, on-demand access to safe, effective treatment
- Oregon Recovers will work to eradicate the stigma associated with addiction which currently serves as a barrier to recovery
- Oregon Recovers will work to build a universal understanding that addiction is a chronic disease and a public health concern NOT a criminal justice problem
- Oregon Recovers will embrace the broadest interpretations of treatment and recovery, including MAT and harm reduction
- Oregon Recovers will insist that both substance use and addiction be addressed at every level of healthcare
- Oregon Recovers will insist that treatment be viewed as a continuum of care that includes community-based recovery support
Three Year Goals
- Build a movement of people in recovery and their allies to sustain broad public, political and stakeholder understanding and support for addiction prevention, treatment and recovery support services
- Advocate for the development and implementation of a meaningful, comprehensive addiction recovery plan rooted in national best practices, which provides inclusive, culturally competent programs and which is guided by quantifiable goals and performance metrics.
- In collaboration with key stakeholders to identify and secure adequate sources of revenue for implementing Oregon’s comprehensive and inclusive alcohol and drug policy.
Personally, I am invested in the promise of change I Percieve Oregon Recovers potential to bring to our communities; the change effect Oregon Recovers work will have on healng the stigma that keeps our people sick, and the realistic approaches Oregon Recovers believes in, which breathes new hope into the Recovery Community, such as MAT and Harm Reduction models becoming acceptable and forms of Recovery devoid of judgement.