- The Village Store Community Garden is a garden within the confines of John J. Byrne Community Center of Uniondale where community members with an avid interest in gardening associate in a socially interactive environment to pursue their gardening pathways.
The project is a collaborative effort of the John J. Byrne Community Center and its sister organization, the Uniondale Community Council and its Youth Project. The Young Gardeners' initiative, will be developed in the form of a garden apprenticeship program for youth in the school district to inspire education and learning experiences.
Members of the community are welcomed into the Village Store Community Garden to secure a plot or multiple plots, and make a commitment to responsibly prepare, cultivate, plant and maintain them, respecting the rights and privileges of others within that space.
Members are encouraged to help each other as a group, as well as socially interacting in the events that are undertaken.
Members meet together to plan, share useful information and feedback on their experiences, as well as document their challenges and how they were or will overcome them. Become a member now and experience the value of a community growing together.
The club needs the necessary resources to enable its development and growth. Your expertise and supply infrastructure is welcome.Volunteering will go a long way in ensuring the success of our club. Some of the needs that will help are:
- Raised Beds 55 beds total 14-8'x4' and 41-4'x4'
- Top Soil
- Gravel or recycled rubber walkways for Pathways
- Plants & Seeds, ie. tomatoes, peppers,spinach, zucchini, okra, basil, cucumbers, garlic, carrots, lettuce, beans, peas, chives, arugula, marigolds, collards, eggplant, kale, leeks, sage, lettuce, etc.
- Irrigation systems
- Garden Table & Benches
- Outdoor Bulletin Board
- Greenhouse and accessories
- Composting system
- Tool shed