There were 10 puppies total in this lovable litter, split into two temporary foster homes with our Texas partner organization. They were less than a week away from their transport to Minnesota when one puppy developed parvo symptoms. Unfortunately, all business were closed and the area has been under a state of emergency. The foster family has been evacuated from their home. Unfortunately, Puppy #1 has passed. An area clinic has stabilized, reopened, and is currently treating the puppies from the first foster home. Puppy #2 has developed sepsis because immediate care wasn't available. He needs a blood transfusion. Littermates in the second foster home are now showing parvo symptoms, and two are heading to the clinic today for supportive care.
We have a goal of $3,500. We know it's a lot to ask with so much devastation in Texas; any support is appreciated.
"Routine" Palliative Care for a Parvo Puppy = $500+ average (we have 5 in treatment currently)
Blood transfusion, palliative care, and supportive therapy for Puppy #2 = $1,000+ estimate
Parvo-positive puppy alert! Your help is needed urgently.
The devastating cold that has descended upon Texas has brought unprecedented cold and snow, leading to power outages and residents struggling to stay warm. Our heart goes out to our friends in Texas, as this situation has been a nightmare, and unfortunately, the timing is dire for a litter of puppies who were less than a week out from their transport to Minnesota. You may have seen the adorable, squishy, wrinkly lab puppies for which we've been recruiting foster homes. Unfortunately, the puppies' health took a dramatic turn for the worst this week, and our fears were just confirmed. Those in rescue know that fear all too well -- parvovirus.
At TCPR, we always provide palliative care when puppies develop parvo. In fact, just last month, two puppies rescued from a neighboring state made a full recovery with supportive care. However, the timing of the parvovirus diagnosis for our Texas pups could not be worse. As the snow and ice crushed all activity, causing a regional state of emergency, the health of one of our puppies unexpectedly took a nosedive. The conditions had already forced all area businesses to close, so when puppy #1 in the litter started to decline rapidly, there was nowhere for him to go. At 90 miles away, the closest operating emergency vet was unable to take the puppy on, and the roads were too dangerous to send the foster out.
Instead of sending the puppies in for around-the-clock care, we could do nothing but sit by and hope for an answer, both for the health of the puppies and also our partners and friends impacted by this catastrophic storm.
There is no cure for parvo, a vicious virus that targets young puppies with an illness characterized by lethargy, diarrhea, vomiting, dehydration and death. As sad as it is to report, the first sick puppy couldn't hold on to get the help he needed.
Now the remaining puppies are at extreme risk. The foster family has been evacuated, and conditions have finally cleared enough to safely get the four littermates to an operational clinic. Puppy #2 is fighting for his life, with a guarded prognosis, and Puppy #3 is showing symptoms.
Because parvovirus is highly contagious, it's only a matter of time before the final two littermates in the foster home fall ill. Because supportive care wasn't available immediately, these puppies, especially Puppy #2, are in for an uphill battle. We expect the costs to be anywhere from $500 to $1,000 each for around-the-clock care and supportive treatments. Thankfully, they've finally made it to exactly where they need to be, and we can't be more grateful to the volunteers who helped get them there.
First, we ask, if you are able to donate toward the four lab puppies' emergency vet care, please consider this your chance to save a life. Second, we can't, in good faith, go without also asking you to support the residents and our friends in the area who are struggling. Please consider donating to a disaster relief program aimed to provide assistance to the Texas communities in need. Finally, our puppies will need a new temporary Texas foster home between their recovery and transport to Minnesota. If you know an animal lover in the Dallas-Fort Worth area who is stable during this emergency and would be able to provide a short-term foster home for some puppies on the mend, please share and message us for more information.