Let's Build That Playlot!
We know Waldorf is the healing education for these pandemic times. UPWS draws on 100 years of teaching with plenty of movement, outdoor time, and real love for the little persons in front of us. We provide a social education in a time of social isolation.
2020-21 School Year: Safest Outdoors
We are committed to creating a safe, healthy learning environment for Urban Prairie students, with a greatly expanded emphasis on outdoor learning - since we all know that outside is the safest place to be.
Last year we worked with a professional landscaping firm to design a natural playspace for our urban students. The design aims to foster creative, mixed-age free play, surrounded by the calming and relaxing environment provided by pollinator gardens, seasonal native plants, and trees blooming and producing edible berries.
We invite your contributions in any of 3 areas:
1. Greening of our Play Space. During Covid times, we will undertake Phase 1: a greening and softening of our playlot perimeter. This will allow us to leave the center of the playlot open for safe, physically distant play and open-air learning. We are undertaking 3 projects:
- Southern Perimeter: Greening, Quiet Shade, and Safe, Healthy Free Play - $44,000 - Professional landscaping by Christy Webber includes boxwood shrubs, hydrangeas, serviceberry trees, and redbud trees, as well as topsoil, mulch, and a timber frame to build up a raised hillock.
- Northwestern Corner: Greening/Creative Design-Build Area - $45,000 - Professional landscaping by Christy Webber includes evergreens, serviceberry trees, and crabapple trees, as well as topsoil, mulch, and a timber frame to build up raised hillock. One ton of sand and a major sandbox expansion, plus 10 tons of stone for climbing.
- Early Childhood Play Yard: Open-Air Free Play, Circle, Storytime, and Daily Rhythm - $8,000 - Hummingbird Garden plans to be outside almost the entire day. Project includes all-season shelter / gazebo, climbing structure, and an expanded sandbox.
2. Open Air Learning. Our students will spend up to 50% or more of their day outside.
- Sturdy shade tents - $2,500
- Outdoor timber desks - $5,000
3. Safe Indoor / Desk and Quiet Work Time. HEPA air filtration - 2 systems per classroom - will augment our fresh air ventilation/recirculuation system and keep our students and faculty safe indoors - $4,500