July 23 UPDATE
We Are Getting Closer To Our Goal!!
We have raised more than half of our financial goal for renovating 21 Miner Street. The studio is painted and by the end of July we will be out of the 17 Main Street studio. The floor is the next major project, which we hope to have installed by early August.
Covid - 19 safety guidelines will be established for holding classes in the new studio, and we are looking forward to offering limited sized classes in the fall. Watch for more information to come.
On August 14 and 15 we will be running a smaller version of the Yoga Loft Garage Sale at the new location. Watch for August newletter for more information. (Sorry, no donations of goods to the garage sale will be accepted.)
The Yoga Loft- We'Moving!
Can you help support our New Home + Expansion Project?
We have some exciting news to share with you… we’re moving, yes again, but we promise this is really really good news… keep reading to learn more details and about how you can help!
As your local North Country non-profit yoga studio, we celebrated 20 years of service in 2019. 20 years!!!! That’s a lot of years. We’ve moved a lot over the years, since the first Yoga Loft started in a renovated garage. But, we are so excited about this one!!!
Keep reading to learn more...
A few things we are most excited about our new home at 21 Miner Street, Suite 2, Canton NY, is that it:
- has 2 classrooms
- it is accessible at ground level
- has plenty of parking
It was a must for us to stay downtown and it’s a plus that it’s in Midtown Plaza, which is targeted for revitalization.
We’ve already done a lot of work on the space!
What we've secured from other sources so far:
* $5,000 from a fundraising event and private donation
* $2,000 awarded in grant money from the Canton Community Fund
Can you help us meet our $30,000 goal?
Why this move now?
We’ve been steadily growing over the years and we knew it was time to take a leap. Last spring The Yoga Loft Board of Directors met for strategic planning. At the planning session we revised our mission to:
Cultivate health, personal growth, and community through yoga and wellness practices.
After a few years of keeping an eye on the downtown market, we began to actively seek out a new home that would make yoga + wellness accessible to everyone in the North Country, while meeting our growing needs AND fulfilling our updated mission.
Can you help us make this new space home with your tax deductible donation?
But really, why a new home?
For starters, we’ve moved 5 times since The Yoga Loft began in a renovated garage in 1999. Each time, it was a little upgrade. This time, it’s a big upgrade and when we found the space on Miner Street we knew it was right. We took the leap of faith and trust that our community will support it. We hope to call this space home for many years to come.
There are so many reasons we needed a new home, but here are some things that excite us most about this space:
* It is physically accessible for everyone as it’s on the first floor (this is a BIG one - no more treacherous stairs).
* There are TWO studio rooms! Our schedule at our current Main street location is full and we have dreamed of being able to offer two classes simultaneously… now it’s possible!
* Plenty of parking, right outside the studio door at ground level!
* Are you ready for heated yoga? We’re working on it. One of our beloved teachers is passionate about heated yoga and this space can offer it!
* This new home gets all of our classes under one roof. We’ve had a few restrictions at our current location and now we will be able to offer our current kids yoga, chair yoga and piloxing… PLUS many new classes that wouldn’t work at our Main Street location: Hip Hop Dance, Hip Hop Yoga, Kids Ballet/Barre and Zumba to name a few. Don’t worry though, our outreach and service programs will still be out in the community.
* This space keeps us downtown and situates us to be part of the revitalization of the Midtown Plaza. The Yoga Loft is all about community and we want to see our community thrive. We believe that by contributing to improving upon the Midtown Plaza, we are investing in the future of our community.
Why are we fundraising and how will donations be used?
The Yoga Loft is unique as it’s a non-profit 501 c(3). The service we provide to the community is possible with the generous support of our community. We are able to keep class and workshop costs low and at times no cost, with donations that subsidize what we offer.
With your support, we offer:
* Multiple $5 classes in the studio - making it financially easier for anyone to come to a class, but specifically making it extra easy for college students and Service + Outreach Program participants.
* FREE Yoga in the Park w/ Free Childcare for 13 years (our first + cornerstone program to increase access) Service + Outreach Programs that are FREE + reduced cost to participants (to date our service program partnerships have included: The Girls Scouts, Canton High School, Planned Parenthood of the North Country of New York, Renewal House, St. Lawrence County Office of the Aging, The Valley Recovery Center, Head Start, SUNY Canton, Claxton Hepburn Medical Center, Grace House and St. Lawrence County Correctional Facility - that’s a lot of accessible yoga for people who may not get to practice yoga otherwise.
* Some sliding scale workshops and classes, with more to come so everyone can participate.
As a non-profit yoga studio, we are motivated by community and access, and this new home gives us more of both. It means more yoga, more wellness classes, more access to wellness practitioners, and more community. It means a home for The Yoga Loft that meets our growing needs and fully realizes our mission and vision for the future.
We’re ready for it and in it for the long haul… are you?
With the help of our new landlord, the space has already had some major upgrades. We will update this list as contributions come in and we get more work done:
* General clean up + trash removal
* Wall patching + new sheetrock throughout
* New sink + toilet
* Primed and ready for paint throughout
* Upgraded electrical + lighting PLUS dimmers on all lights ALL
* Old restaurant supplies torn out of back studio
* Weird subdividing alls torn out of back studio
* Second door to back studio closed off
* New emergency exit signs added on front + back doors
*Front door fixed
* New on demand water heater under the sink
* $3,000 is being put into a new heating + cooling system
What we still need to do and where we need your help:
Repaint the Entire Space: It’s all primed and ready, but we want to make it feel as cozy as we can. The entire space will need fresh paint. ($300)
Add a Bathroom Wall + Furnace: The current bathroom is large and we don’t need that much space. Adding a wall to this space will give us room devoted to a new furnace for heating (and cooling in the future) + cleaning supply storage. We will also be updating to tile, repainting the bathroom wall that is added, and installing a mirror. ($5,500)
Replace the back door with one that will bring in more natural light to the second studio room. There are no windows in the back studio and the current door is in rough shape. We want it to feel really nice back there and a new door with a window will help tremendously. Our goal is to enter the back studio separately + the landlord will add a safety step to make this possible. We’ll eventually work on a walkway down the side of the building + we’ve got some exciting art ideas for the exterior of the building that will engage the community! But the door first… ($500)
Front + Back Entryway: At this new space, you will walk right into the large main studio room. It’s ok though… this means lots of light and visibility! We do need a few things to create a cozy entryway: 2 built in benches, divider curtains, shoe cubbies, coat racks and an all-weather rug will get a good start to a cozy and dividable entryway. We also need to create a little entry area for the back studio. ($3,000)
Add new flooring throughout! The whole space is currently a blank slate in terms of flooring- which is perfect! The landlord left it that way so we can add what works best for us. Our dream is to add radiant floor heating in the main practice spaces of each studio (yeah!!!) and then a yoga appropriate flooring throughout. With the generous reduced rent our landlord has given us to subsidize flooring, the grand total for both of these will be ($6,200)
Office / Practitioner Space: We love that this new home has a small office within it and the ability to upgrade it a bit to offer a space for private practitioners. We’ve already got a therapist and Ayurveda practitioner ready to utilize the space. We need a curtain, some shelving, chairs and a desk, so we can be comfy! ($1,300)
Outside Space: We really love that the front of the building is covered. We envision a beautiful outside space, complete with ADK chairs, that our community can use during good weather to visit with each other before and after class. There is also a HUGE space at the top of the building for a sign. Yes to more visibility! ($800)
Extras for both studios: We’ve got a few extra things needed to make the 2 classroom spaces function well and get them extra nice for you… sound systems, prop shelving, cozy chairs, ceiling fans, and a door between rooms are a few… ($3,000)
Rent Subsidy: In order to secure this space and be able to make all of the remodels and cozy additions to it in time to have no disruption of the class schedule, we had to move on the opportunity. We signed the lease at the end of January with trust that The Yoga Loft community will come through for us! Our new landlord has generously worked with us to reduce some rent as we work on the space, but we will be paying double rent for a while. To be completely comfortable with this move and not dip into this years budget, we need ($6,900)
That’s $27,500 folks. This is our best estimate, but we know extras will come up along the way, so we are aiming for a baseline goal of $30,000.
If we get beyond our goal of $30,000, we will apply that toward our dream ask of Central Air and Upgraded Studio Props, bringing us to: $40,000.
Our dream ask… We’ve got a few extra things we are reaching for to make this move easier and enable us to not dip into our 2020 operating budget… These will also add to the loveliness of our new home:
Add Central Air: We would love to upgrade to add Central Air for the hot summer months, so that everyone is comfortable all year long. We’re dreaming for the best and wondering who’s ready to dream with us? ($5,000)
Upgrade Props: We would love to upgrade our current props and we will also need more of them. The props we use now, can then be devoted to all of our growing Outreach + Service Programs. Right now we think we can fit about 30 people in the main studio and 10 people in the back studio (comfortably…. but we could squeeze more in!). So that would be 40 props total. 40 bolsters, 40 blankets, 40 straps, 40 eye pillows and 80 blocks. That’s a lot of good propping! ($5,000)
We are so excited for 2020 and all it holds for The Yoga Loft and our beloved community.
This move and expansion is going to be amazing...tell everyone you know!
But really, we’d be super grateful if after you make a donation, you share this on social media and give us a shout out!
We appreciate your support and every amount helps.
Read below for our donor incentives:
Up to $100
This gift helps us…
Purchase small essential items and decor to complete the space
be very grateful because all gifts help + provide you with an eco-friendly thank you
enter you into a drawing for a complimentary drop-in class
Friend $100 - $500
This gift helps us...
- paint the walls with fresh color
- update the bathroom floor tile
- purchase an on-demand hot + cool water dispenser
- add cozy chairs to a gathering area
- install ceiling fans in each classroom
- provide you w/ a tax-deductible receipt + thank you card
- thank you on our social media platforms
- invite you to an early opening donor event
- enter you into a drawing for a 6 class card
Supporter $500 - $1000
This gift helps us ...
- replace rear entrance door and lights to 2nd classroom
- create a welcoming back entrance
- add a mirror + barre to 2nd studio for ballet classes
- install new sound systems in each classroom
- do all of the above and thank you in our e-newsletter
- thank you on our website
- thank you in print media
- enter you into a drawing for a 12 class card
Partner $1000 - $5000
This gift helps us...
- add new yoga friendly flooring throughout
- create a closet for the updated furnace
- add built-in prop shelving
- fully update an office / private practitioner space
- create a welcoming front entrance
- do all of the above and invite you to a VIP donor event
- thank you on the American Theater marquee
- enter you into a drawing for a $150 Pirate Flo yoga wear gift card
Sustainer $5000 +
This gift helps us...
- add radiant floor heat
- subsidize dual rent necessary to secure the space
- upgrade the heat + add air conditioning
- upgrade props designated to service + outreach
- do all of the above and offer you a naming opportunity
- offer you one lifetime membership to classes
Did you share this yet? If you haven’t, please do.
Our hope is that our fundraising campaign has a wide reach, beyond our community here in the North Country. Thank you for your support in reaching our goal!