As the coronavirus spreads, Alzheimer’s patients and their Caregivers are facing mounting uncertainty and great risks.
For the first time, De Frente al Alzheimer’s, Inc., mission to save and celebrate lives by providing financial aid in the fight against Alzheimer's is at risk. Just when these patients and their caregivers need us most, we’ve had to cancel fundraising events that are critical to our mission. Overnight, our single greatest source of fundraising has drastically diminished.
“Alzheimer’s isn’t stopping because of the spread of the coronavirus, so neither can we.” Ivonne Rivera, Executive Director of De Frente al Alzheimer, Inc.
"The role of De Frente al Alzheimer, Inc., is more critical than ever and the best way to fight back is together. Stand with us, our volunteers, Alzheimer’s patients and their Caregivers by joining us all on July 4, 2020 on our first virtual Longest Day por el Alzheimer event. For the Seventh year in a row, I’ll be running and walking from dawn to sunset. Although the physical effort is major, I can attest it has no comparison to fighting against a white elephant that is not allowing your loved one to remember who you are, how to walk, nor eat on their own." Teresa Seda, President of De Frente al Alzheimer, Inc.
These are the facts:
· Alzheimer's is the 6th leading cause of death in the US.
· More than 5 Million Americans are living with Alzheimer.
· 1 in 3 Seniors are living with Alzheimer’s.
· Alzheimer’s kills more than breast cancer and prostate cancer combined.
· 16 Million Americans provide unpaid care for people with Alzheimer’s and other dementias.
· Caregivers provided an estimated 18.6 billion hours valued at nearly $244 billion.
· In 2020 Alzheimer’s and other dementias will cost $305 billion.
· By 2050, these costs are estimated to increase to $1.1 trillion.
· As a US territory, Puerto Rico is part of these statistics and directly affected by this disease.
As a caregiver for my Mom, I can attest to the financial and emotional struggles Alzheimer brings on. Therefore, De Frente al Alzheimer, Inc. was founded in 2015 as a Non-Profit Organization focused on providing financial support to pre-qualified low income Alzheimer's patients in Puerto Rico.