The Life of a Single Mom (“TLSM”), headquartered in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, is an award-winning, faith-based, national 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that exists to see that no single mom walks alone. We achieve that mission by establishing peer-led single mom support groups throughout the U.S. and beyond, giving single moms of all ages and stories a safe place to grow, network, receive valuable education, while building a strong tribe. We know that there is power in the gathering! Women see chains fall as they commit, over time, to be part of a single mom ministry. Over the last decade, we have worked to launch or improve over 1,500 single mom support groups and served more than 405,000 single mothers!
Our single mom support groups save lives, offer hope to women who are sometimes hopeless, and create meaningful friendships that give single moms the strength that is necessary to thrive. And while they are in those groups, they learn critical life skills, including parenting, finances, spiritual growth, and emotional stability.
When the COVID19 crisis began hitting the U.S., The Life of a Single Mom took swift action to ensure that our single mothers did not become alienated, depressed, and overwhelmed. The support groups are often a critical component of a single moms' friend circle.
Our action plan has included the following:
1. Training single mom ministry and support group leaders on how to continue their support gorup meetings electronically
2. Providing crisis counseling & case management to single mothers who have lost their jobs or had reduced hours due to COVID
3. Providing free access to more than 100 online classes in our Single Mom University platform.
4. Conducting a free online 8-week study group for all single moms to join to create community and promote self-growth during a time of crisis
5. Provided national resource guide with over 100 potential financial, employment, educational, and support service resources.
6. Signficantly increasing volume of weekly podcasts, videos, and articles to ensure online content addresses current needs of client and offers encouragement during a difficult time.
In the last 6 days, more than 9,000 single mothers have connected to one of the above. We need your help to do more. We're looking to expand into financial relief, additional crisis intervention, and expanding access to Single Mom University access to an extended period of time.
Impact a single mom. Impact her children. Impact a nation.