Could Improved Communication and Understanding Help Us Resolve Problems in Our World?
We are seeking to establish a nonprofit organization called The Enlightened Worldview Project
The central purpose of this organization will be to promote peace and resolve conflicts through greater societal understanding and inner awareness
The most significant problems in our global society we seek to address through our work:
· Misunderstanding & miscommunication
· Fear, anger, and tribalism
· A highly charged social atmosphere, damaging our public discourse
· Weaponized news, misinformation & hyper-partisanship
· Seemingly incompatible moral & philosophical frameworks
· Mend Divisions: Build bridges between communities and peoples with different ideologies and worldviews
· Improve Communication: Study the dysfunction in public discourse and recommend new methods of dialogue
· Reduce Conflict: Work toward peace in our global society through reason, understanding and empathy
· Connect Thought to Action: Explore the frontier where the mind meets the social landscape
· Increase Personal Growth: Promote inner peace through awareness and mindfulness
We will work to educate people on these matters:
· How science works and how to discern legitimate science from pseudoscience. We believe that when someone understands the scientific process and how scientists do their work, they will more likely appreciate and accept consensus scientific views.
· How journalism works and how to discern credible information from misinformation. We want to help people sort out fact from fiction when they are constantly being bombarded with information, not all of which is true.
· How to develop greater self-awareness and mindfulness. We believe that such people will have more success in expressing their thoughts and feelings and will also understand other people at a deeper level.
· There are shared core values that can be identified within all people, even those who come from different walks of life. All people, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, and class background have shared core values. People who identify the shared core values are more likely to live in peace with others.
Much of this will be achieved by leveraging existing research done by others that is publicly available. Some of this organization’s goals will be achieved through new research that we will conduct. We will look to phenomenology, which is a disciplined approach to examining our direct, first-person experience. This discipline can help us better understand our own lives and can also help us get a window into the inner worlds of other people. Phenomenology needs to be central to the quest to avoid conflict and to work toward peace because it already has a proven track record in small-scale conflict resolution, wherein the participants are encouraged to frame the problem at hand in a way that is primarily based around the perceptions and feelings of each individual in the relationship. This approach shows promise, but a methodology needs to be formulated that integrates phenomenology with the other sciences so that it can be applied to a larger society-wide scale. The relationship between phenomenology and sciences such as psychology, sociology, biology, and physics should be explored, since all sciences are important to our society and they are all related to each other somehow. We plan to publish our research in credible academic and scientific journals. We will also utilize our own research in our educational outreach efforts. We plan to produce videos, podcasts, and books. We will also seek more direct modes of educating people and of resolving conflicts in society.
See https://www.enlightenedworldview.com/project-mission/ for more info.
This organization addresses the following “Exempt Purposes” that are given in IRS 501(c)3:
· advancement of education or science
· lessening neighborhood tensions
· eliminating prejudice and discrimination
· defending human and civil rights secured by law
We are raising funds to pay for legal fees to establish this nonprofit organization. We are also looking for people who might be interested in contributing in some way to this organization, such as serving as board members.
This is a collaborative effort led by Brandon Norgaard. See https://www.enlightenedworldview.com/the-team/ for more info. For general inquiries, email us firstname.lastname@example.org