Today, the Philadelphia Film Society is the region’s foremost resource for film presentation and education and is committed to presenting film as a transformative and powerful medium for artistic expression and a catalyst for strengthening community. As the producer of the Philadelphia Film Festival and creative force behind the Philadelphia Film Center and PFS Roxy Theaters, PFS raises awareness of film as an important art form in Philadelphia and serves as a vital piece of the city’s arts and culture community.
Why do I need your help?
Here are some facts about where we stand today:
- COVID-19 has been devastating for the Film Society and it now needs the community’s support to continue in its mission
- Its theaters have been closed since March, and it is not clear when they will open again.
- The film industry, itself, has been among the hardest hit, with almost every major studio canceling theatrical releases indefinitely (while first-run films are a major source of revenue for the Film Society).
- This combination of no new product to sell, and no way to sell it while its theaters remain closed, has created the perfect storm of a financial crisis.
- Its board has raised $150,000 to help with the immediate cash needs and has challenged them to raise another $150,000 from the community by July 19. That total of $300,000 will sustain the Film Society into October, when there will be a better understanding of theater re-openings, attendance and operations.
What we do today is more important than ever because of film's ability to communicate complex issues in a provocative and insightful way.