The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) was established in 1899 to assist Veterans. Our mission is to foster camaraderie among United States Veterans of overseas conflicts, to serve our Veterans, the military and our communities, and advocate on behalf of all Veterans.
VFW Capital of Texas Post 8787 has been located at 500 VFW Road in Austin, Texas since 1969. Our doors have welcomed Veterans of all the different branches of the military, of every age, sex, race, religion, and creed, and from different conflicts all over the globe. Post 8787 is a place where Veterans can talk with each other about their journeys and struggles, what they went through in their military careers, about the wars they bravely fought in, and it is a place where they can find help when needed. More than that, VFW 8787 is a place where Veterans go to, and give back to, the community that has faithfully supported them by way of volunteering and fundraising.
Over the past 10 years, VFW Capital Of Texas Post 8787 and its Auxiliary has supported the community and Veterans through some of the following means:
- Financial Support to Members & Veterans in Need
- Food, Clothing, and Entertainment for VA Home Veterans
- Support for the Local Homeless (Food & Money)
- Scholarship Funds for Students
- Recognition of Local EMS/Fire/Police Service Personnel
- Recognition of Local Teachers & Students
- Fundraisers & Care Packages for Deployed Service Members- Child Support Funding Donations to CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates)
- Facility Space and Sponsorship for the Boy Scouts of America Troop 8787
- Real Estate Space for Youth Events (ie River City Quarter Midget Assn & BSA)
- Facility Space for Community Organizations (DAV, USMC League, Bass Clubs, AF Chiefs Car Clubs, and other Veteran’s Organizations
- Host and Attend Memorial Services for Veterans
- Holiday/Seasonal Gifts and Contributions for Children and those in Need
- Medical Supplies & Equipment for Disabled Veterans
- Transportation of Veterans, Members, and Family Members to Medical Appointments
- Assistance with Veteran and Survivor Benefits
- Canteen Activities to Promote Camaraderie
In light of measures taken to combat the spread of COVID-19, the VFW Capital of Texas Post 8787 is in desperate need of funds to help keep its doors open. We rely on the revenue from our Hall Rentals, Fundraiser Events, and the Canteen to keep our lights on and our doors open, but with mandated closures we have lost that revenue. In addition, our facility is beginning to wear down and some major renovations are becoming urgently needed. We are asking for donations of any size to help us through this time so that we can continue to serve our community and our Veterans.