New York City students are facing new challenges while learning online. Students accustomed to supportive classroom environments are staying "logged out" as schools become virtual. Students in under-resourced communities will especially struggle to gain academic ground to prepare them for college and careers. Meanwhile, they are struggling with emotional and mental health as they strive to cope through the pandemic.
The Center for Educational Innovation (CEI) is here to support under-resourced schools and students during this crisis. We are responding to fill the new gaps in education brought on by COVID-19 by:
· Minimizing the digital divide by providing equipment and wifi hotspots to ensure all students can access their education.
· Providing virtual academic tutoring to help students prepare for exams.
· Giving youth a voice through the power of music and art to respond to the COVID-19 crisis. Our trauma-informed approach gives them an online platform to explore their thoughts and feelings and send messages of inspiration and support to each other around the globe.
· Keeping students engaged in online learning and career readiness through eSports.
· Supporting teachers and school leaders, as they are overwhelmed, with resources to help their online teaching.
Our activities engage students in STEM and the Arts, including trauma-informed approaches and a focus on socio-emotional skills that are critical to them getting through this academic season with hope.
We are asking for your help as we try to reach our goal of $25,000 on our #GivingTuesdayNow campaign. Show your support to students by sharing this message with friends and families. Or, by donating any amount you can. Together, we can ensure our children can thrive in times of crisis - mentally, emotionally, and intellectually.
Examples of how your dollars help:
$10 - Art supply kit for one student
$20/month - Wifi service for a student to access online learning
$100 - eSports NBA2K platform for one student to participate
$300 - Chromebook for a student to access online classes
$500 - One month of lessons from teaching artist / eSports instructor / tutoring
$5,000 - Music engineer to compile student testimonial music video
Thank you for being an everyday hero in these students' lives through education, equity, and innovation.
- Your friends at CEI