No Tartan Mini-Golf, summer picnic, or Christmas party… and no Robert Burns Celebration!
Through these (and other) yearly gatherings, Nevada Society of Scottish Clans fulfills part of our mission. NSSC is a 501(c3) non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and promoting Scottish heritage through the teaching of customs, literature, music, games, history, and attire of Scotland and its people. Using funds raised at various gatherings throughout the year, we support Celtic activities in our community, as well as award financial grants to individuals or organizations to aid in their study, practice, and teaching as it relates to Scottish heritage.
During this time of pandemic restrictions, all gatherings (and therefore fundraising) have been put on indefinite hold, but our mission of support has not. Nevada Society of Scottish Clans is seeking donations from our membership, from anyone who celebrates their Scottish heritage with us at our Robert Burns Celebration, and from anyone who loves and dreams of Scotland.
Over the years of NSSC’s existence, we have donated funds or gifts to many Celtic organizations and events, including Sierra Highlanders Pipe Band, Reno Celtic Celebration, Dangberg Home Ranch Celtic Faire, the Sons and Daughters of Erin, and Scottish American Military Society.
An example of grants we have provided include:
· Sent people to bagpipe or drumming camp
· Sent youth to fiddle camp
· Provided funds to a Highland dance school for costumes
· Provided funds to a local heavy athletics team for equipment
· Funded the restoration of pipes for two young people learning the pipes
· Purchased equipment for a young man who participated in Highland games
· Assisted the Sierra Highlanders Pipe Band in raising funds for their trip to Scotland to participate in a piping competition
· Supported a Gaelic speaker to attend a Gaelic emersion session, who then returned and provided monthly Gaelic language classes
· Supported a victim of the Camp Fire in Paradise, California
We have missed you and 2020’s gatherings. We are especially disappointed to miss what was to be the 40th anniversary of our Robert Burns Celebration. We understand that times are tough, but trust that NSSC adds something good to your life, and sincerely hope you will consider including us in your charitable donations through our GoFundMe project (again, NSSC is a 501(c3) non-profit, and your donation may be deductible). Just think, if you were to attend Robert Burns Celebration you would be paying $65 for each ticket…not to mention what you would spend on raffle tickets in an effort to win that sword!
We thank YOU for your continued support of the events and programs of Nevada Society of Scottish Clans. And… let’s start thinking about how wonderful that next Robert Burns Celebration is going to be when we can gather with family and friends, sit back to enjoy the singers, dancers and pipe band, and make a toast to Burns… and to the lads and lassies…and to the haggis… and to a grand night!