Covid-19 has a much bigger impact in rural communities in West Africa especially in times of confinement for Gnder Based Violence victims.
BLP's Girls Shall Rise Campaign has a focus on providing support, skills training, advocacy for survivors of Gender BasedViolence (GBV) specifically violence against women and children, Commercial Sex workers, and women living with HIV AIDS. Girls Shall Rise (GSR) is in line with BLP's vision to promote and support BLP beneficiaries to become self-reliant and contribute positively to the development of their communities
Girls Shall Rise (GSR) Activities include:
- Provide school learning materials to GBV survivors, Commercial Sex workers, and register those who had dropped out of school due to GBV aftermath
- Help vulnerable girls mostly dropouts to go back to the classrooms
- Provide family planning to prevent teenage girls from unwanted pregnancies
- Encourage GBV survivors to kindle their potential by providing creative opportunities and basic literacy facilities for those who wish to study further
- Support GBV survivors to accomplish physical, intellectual, and personal development through vocational skills training
- Engage local communities on the dangers of GBV and Child Protection policies through workshops and training
GSR has a long term goal of transforming GBV Victims, Commercial Sex Workers into Serial Entrepreneurs through skills training, formal and relevant education in BLP operational communities currently in Bombali and Western Rural Districs in Sierra Leone
Since the outbreak of the Corona virus in March 2020, most of our beneficiaries can no longer continue with their respective skills traing and education and this poses a threat as they are tempted to go back to their old life styles which could be very counter productive to all of our efforts and sacrifices for them. We want to be able to keep them engagened with a samll mocro loan so they can stay active and do some kind of business while waiting for schools to reopen.
Your help will be very much appreciated and may God bless you and your families.