***UPDATE: We have increased our goal to $7000 to train more ambassadors. THANK YOU!***
2020 has been... a mess!! Full of conflict, personal challenges, and difficult conversations with friends and family and colleagues. And, that's what Community Mediation DC is here for.
Community Mediation DC (CMDC) provides mediation at no cost to all DC residents, as well as large group facilitation, mediation training, conflict management workshops, and conflict coaching to community members. CMDC envisions a city where mediation is used to build strong and peaceful communities, and every DC resident has access to high-quality, collaborative conflict resolution services.
Our mediators reflect the diversity of DC and use their skills on a daily basis in neighborhoods all over the District. The majority of our participants refer themselves to mediation after searching for affordable conflict resolution on the internet. We've also received referrals from past mediation participants, justice-involved individuals, local therapists, attorneys, councilmembers' offices, legal services providers, reentry service providers, government agencies, and our own volunteers.
This year, we've accomplished so much thanks to the support of our community:
- We held space for more than 70 participants to make collaborative plans and resolve conflicts through 43 mediation sessions - many of these sessions happening virtually for the first time!
- 100% of recent mediation participants said they understand the other participant(s) better as a result of mediation, and more than 80% believe the other participant understands them better as a result.
- We provided conflict management workshops to more than 60 individuals, primarily returning citizens.
- More than 90% of training participants say the training helped them view conflict as an opportunity, become more effective during conflicts in their life, and understand other people better during conflict.
In 2021, we need to expand and improve upon this work, and we need your help! One of the impacts of this pandemic is that we've lost access to funding we thought we could rely on, and we're grateful for the resources and support of our volunteers and community members for keeping us going.
Before December 31, we need to raise $7000 to help us:
- Train up to 8 new volunteer mediators in to keep up with demand for mediation services
- Train at least 50 community ambassadors to increase the use of non-violent conflict resolution tools and mediation
- Retain our staff! (Community Mediation DC has two staff members who support mediations, community education, and all of our volunteers. This year, we're looking to make them both full time, offer health insurance, and go through a racially just, equitable pay process)
Will you donate $10, $25, $50, or $100 to help us reach our goal? Each donation strengthens access to community-based mediation services in the District, allowing us to tap into the resources indigenous to our communities to resolve our own conflicts.