Those who know me can pretty much be assured of three things:
1. I am happiest with my hair in braids, a pack on my back, and my feet planted firmly on a trail
2. I am prone to crazy adventure-based challenges
3. My goals in life, in the immortal words of Miss Rumphius, are to travel the world, come home to live by the sea (okay, the Hudson River in my case), and most importantly, to do something to make the world more beautiful
So it should come as no surpise that on May 4, I will endeavor to hike 50 miles in the course of 24 hours, across the beautiful Shawangunk ridge of the Mid-Hudson Valley, in the Rock the Ridge fundraiser in support of Mohonk Preserve. I may have been born a California girl, but over the past 20+ years these mountains and this river have become my heart and home. I want to see their beauty preserved so that my grandchildren and yours can heed their call and discover their beauty in the years to come.
This is a fundraising event (and whaddya know, I'm a fundraiser!) So now, I'm reaching out to you, dear friends and family. If you love the mountains and the river, show your support and help to preserve this wilderness for us all.
More information on Rock the Ridge (official language from Mohonk) is provided below. Feel free to educate yourselves. Even better, join me this spring. I'll be roaming up and down the trails to get my legs and head ready for this new adventure!
Rock The Ridge is a 50-mile endurance challenge and environmental fundraiser set in the natural beauty of Mohonk Preserve. The goal is to run, walk or hike the course within 24 hours.
Rock The Ridge supports a great cause: preserving over 8,000 acres of Mohonk Preserve in the Shawangunk Mountains region.
Mohonk Preserve is a place where people and nature thrive. Over 8,000 acres provide a safe refuge for wildlife such as birds, mammals, and plants, and more. It’s a place for active recreation such as rock climbing, trail running, biking or hiking and also a place for quiet walks beside babbling streams, breathtaking vistas and moments of quiet reflection.
Our mission at the Preserve is to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy and explore their natural world. We work tirelessly to accomplish this mission each and every day through the following award-winning programs:
- Education — In 2017, Mohonk Preserve served over 14,500 children including many through STEM education programs which connects at-risk children from nearby cities to innovative outdoor education programs, engaging their senses and inspiring them through nature.
- Land Protection — Protecting key recreation areas, fragile habitats, and scenic viewsheds is only the beginning.
- Land Stewardship — Managing over 8,000 acres takes work! The Preserve helps provide a safe, participatory experience in nature for over 200,000 visitors each year. The Preserve’s team of highly skilled search and rescue Rangers are always on call and ready to assist visitors in trouble.
- Conservation Science — The Preserve’s team of scientists monitor the changing ecology of the Shawangunks and use data to help sustain this regionally important ecosystem.
Fundraisers such as Rock the Ridge enables Mohonk Preserve to keep the land open and accessible to all visitors. We hope that you will give generously in support of your friends and family members who are participating in this year’s 50-mile endurance challenge. Thank you so very much!