As the pandemic continues, many in our community are unable to manage daily meals. The Stone Soup Project - Catskill is a completely volunteer effort, born out of a full refrigerator at a thriving local restaurant. Michelle Williams, owner of the Mermaid Café and Bittersweet, the ice cream parlor next door, now feeds 90 people who have financial need or cannot leave home to get food, and funds it entirely through community donations.
STONE SOUP TODAY
This is the Stone Soup project today:
• Serves free soup and bread to people in need Monday, Wednesday and Friday
• Local residents who are currently unemployed volunteer as delivery drivers
• Meals are prepared by Mermaid staff in their commercial kitchen
• Soups are delivered in individual 16 oz cups with bread, and are left on the door step
• To ensure social distancing, delivery is confirmed by a follow-up text or call
• Each soup delivery costs Stone Soup approximately $3 per person
• We know that many more of our neighbors are going hungry and we are working to identify them through organizations which serve Catskill residents every day, including our local food pantries.
• We’ve spoken with other restaurants who would like to help maintain and potentially expand this effort. We’d like to be able to reimburse them for their costs, and perhaps provide them some goodwill publicity as they seek to survive this downturn.
• We would like to add a fuel stipend to reimburse our volunteer drivers, who already contribute their time and provide an essential service that adds to their risk
WHAT YOU CAN DO
We can’t continue to help our neighbors without donations and here is how you can contribute:
• Make a tax-deductible contribution. All contributions made through this Go Fund Me page will go to a dedicated account for Stone Soup at the Catskill Community Center, a 501c3 organization which is donating accounting services to insure that all reimbursements for costs are accurately recorded.
• If a check is preferable please make out to the Catskill Community Center with Stone Soup Project in the memo. Send to PO Box 389, Catskill NY 12414
• Donations are deposited into a Bank of Greene County account held by the Center.
Thank you for all that you do and please keep yourself and your family safe in this difficult time.