n1. Who are we?
We are a group of Belizean Americans and friends who have come together to form Belizeans Wellness Foundation (BWF) (a 501c non-profit) organization to raise funds to help local communities and hospitals in Belize with medical assistance.
This corporation is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and is not organized for the private gain of any person. It is organized under the Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law for charitable purposes. The purposes for which this corporation is formed are exclusively charitable within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986. The specific purpose of the Corporation is primarily to promote and support a healthy life-style for the Belizean people and members of their communities. The Corporation will facilitate and organize health education programs, promote and engage in the facilitation of health services for the social welfare and health of the community, and organize other charitable activities associated with healthcare services and wellness as allowed by law
2. The group was formed in June 2017.
BWF has a full Board of directors under the leadership of the President and CEO. We are partnering with nonprofits organization like Bridge of Life, Los Angeles Blazer, Corozal Pride Foundation, Belize Diabetes Association, Belize Cancer Center and organizations.
3. What Current Project We Are Working On?
There is a dire need for a 5-station dialysis center in the Belize Southern Regional Hospital where patients are resorting to end of life due to high cost of services hundreds of miles away. We are partnering with Bridge of Life (BOL), Blazers and Belize Ministry of Health to complete this project.
We are also planning to provide external Defibrillators to the hospitals and first responders along with training.
4. What is The Estimated Cost?
We anticipate that project will cost around $250,000. This funding will cover equipment acquisition, implementation, training, supplies and other incidental expenses. We are accepting donations from everyone and donor organizations, as well as conducting fundraising events to meet our goal.
5. Where Do We Keep Our Funds?
BWF has a business account with US Bank where all funds are deposited and accounted for.
6. Plan Date to Begin Planning and Implementation:
February 2019 with a go live date by June 2019 (time permits)
7. Why is Dialysis Center an Option?
Kidney Failure According to data from the Belize Kidney Association, they have recorded to date that one hundred and twenty-two persons have passed away due to kidney failure. These incidents are categorized as preventable deaths because of the existence of a scientifically proven therapy. The availability adequate and affordable medical services (such as Dialysis and wellness education) would have significantly make a difference. The association further explained that there are currently over two hundred and fifty-five persons in need of dialysis treatment and many more who have not enlisted to the program. The dialysis services and wellness education should not be a selective process based on severity and enrollment.
Currently, patients in the Southern Belize communities of Stann Creek and Toledo Districts must travel great distances to Belize City or San Ignacio to receive hemodialysis treatments. And there is no guarantee that they will receive service. Opening a hemodialysis center at the Southern Regional Hospital, Dangriga would greatly reduce the travel times for many of the patients in those districts. Opening such a center would require a substantial investment, and may not be immediately profitable, but it should be explored as a way of greatly reducing the burden currently endured by hemodialysis patients and their families living in the Stann Creek and Toledo Districts.
The cost of care at the privately owned facilities in Orange walk and Cayo are not affordable to majority of the patients and the KHMH is unable to care for the higher percentage of patients. So that even though at least 15% of patients are receiving some care, the remaining 85% are living with the condition and in dire need of dialysis.
There are only three Dialysis Centers in Belize. Two of which are privately owned (La Loma Luz Adventist Hospital in Cayo District, and Orange Walk private hospital), and one at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH is a public hospital in Belize City).ull