South Side Mission primarily serves the residents of the 61605 zip code, one of the 100 poorest zip codes in the country.
61605 is home to 16,000 people, 49% living below the poverty level compared to 17% for the county. Forty percent of the population is white; 60% is African American. There are 310 city blocks and 7396 housing units. The median age is 30, average household income is $19,422. The Mission serves these individuals with the help of over 38,000 volunteer hours annually. Their annual budget is $4 million, supported completely by donations, and they receive no government or United Way funding.
South Side Mission's programs include:
• Benevolence Center
• Camp Kearney
• Culinary Arts Training School
• Elderly Services
• Holiday Meals
• Hope Builders
• Lighthouse Diner – Soup Kitchen
• New Promise Center – Women’s Shelter
• Redeemed Boys Mentoring Program
• Sunday School & Chapel Services
• Children and Youth Ministry