WE NEED YOUR HELP
PLEASE HELP US BUILD OUR CHURCH
SPIRIT OF JOY A PLACE TO BE, BELONG, BELIEVE
ABOUT SPIRIT OF JOY LUTHERAN CHURCH
Spirit of Joy Lutheran Church is a place for you and your family to BE in the presence of the Lord, BELONG to a place that welcomes all people and BELIEVE in the love of Jesus Christ our Savior. We are dedicated to providing opportunities to worship, learn, connect and serve. You can help us realize God’s vision for the future by joining, giving, and /or volunteering.
Spirit of Joy is for everyone. Our programs, services and initiatives strive to develop youth, welcome all people and continue to grow in a healthy manner to further spread the good news of Jesus Christ and his teachings to future generations.
Spirit of Joy has been serving Ramona since 1994. It was founded by leaders of the community to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to be of service, belong to a fellowship and demonstrate in their daily lives a belief in the teachings of Christ.
The church began meeting at the home of Pastor Dan and Karyn Erlenbusch, then in a small shoe store in old town Ramona, and now at their present site of renovation for worship and classrooms at 1735 Main street, Ramona, CA.
Our Lutheran denomination had purchased 9 acres of land way out on the northwest intersection of Highway 67 and Highland Valley Road with the goal of building a church on that corner.
Our congregation has been raising money and working together with experts to draw up plans and design an on-site wastewater treatment system that would work within the parameters of the area and meet the county code.
Plans were approved in 2016. A focused capital campaign raised pledges of more than $700K and a loan was approved from Thrivent for $2.2M.
On Easter Sunday, 2017, Spirit of Joy hosted a grand groundbreaking ceremony on the land which was attended by an overflow crowd of more than 500 people.
Early in 2017, county requirements and scheduling issues led to a search for a new general contractor to be selected, and construction began.
FUNDS NEEDED FOR CONSTRUCTION
Over the years, we have continued to raise funds. Construction costs continue to rise. The magnitude of these costs in relationship to building a church create a challenge. Some of the costs include:
• $308K Ramona Unified Water District Connection Fee
• $236K Unexpected County Fees
• $57K County Mitigation Cost for Non-Native Grasslands
• $18K Archaeological Costs (Possible Arrowhead Splinter)
Plans now in place include a combined worship center and fellowship hall/community center as the first building. Today the estimated cost to complete the project is $1.5M.
Currently our church is repaying a loan at $10K per month in addition to the $4K per month lease of our current location.
We are pursuing other potential funding opportunities and need your help:
• Exploring Ramona Aquatic Community Center co-located on the land
• YMCA has expressed a desire to lease space once the building is developed.
• Pacifica Synod and Partner Churches have expressed a desire to help when the remainder of funding is in place.
WHERE WE ARE WE NOW:
We need to raise $654K dollars to qualify for a loan to build our Worship Center.
We have completed almost all the work required by the County of San Diego:
• Storm water runoff prevention measures, including nine bioswales.
• Conduit and piping for plumbing and electrical.
• Landscaping and irrigation required by the County prior to approval of grading plans.
• Parking lot
• Electrical connection pad and sweeps
What remains to be done is to build the Worship Center and install the water treatment system.
WE NEED YOUR HELP
Join. Give. Volunteer.
Help us raise $1.5M for our new facilities.
Every gift large or small matters.
Your donation will help us to make a 25 year dream a reality for the Ramona community by providing a healthy place for us all to grow and expand the work of Christ, better support family life, and most of all prepare our youth to lead a healthy life full of God’s love.
Please help us serve the community by helping us build our church.
Our new church will provide a healthy expanded place for our community to face the greater needs for the work we do every day and for us all to be, belong and believe.
Besides being a place to worship we will continue to be:
· a “Beacon of Light” at the entrance to Ramona inviting all to come meet Christ.
· a designated local disaster evacuation center.
· a place for AA and other meetings.
· a meeting place for scouting groups and other needs for local children.
· a host of the annual “God’s Work, Our Hands” events.
· an organization that provides meals for the homeless at the Grange.
Additional phases will bring exploration of
· Aquatic Community Center
· Gathering place for the community.
PLEASE HELP US BY DONATING NOW TO HELP US BUILD A PLACE
TO BE, BELONG, BELIEVE