The Society for Conservation GIS (SCGIS) needs your support!
For over 20 years, SCGIS has supported a global community and delivered world class programming at the nexus of conservation and technology.
However, due to the global pandemic, SCGIS faces potential for decreasing revenue across all parts of the organization, including loss of membership income and conference revenue. As an all-volunteer society, we depend on these sources of revenue to support our discretionary expenses, including accounting, website hosting and maintenance, and other administrative expenses that support our community. With the cancellation of our Annual Conference and more difficult financial decisions for members, our membership income from the past seven weeks has already decreased 50% from this time last year.
With your support, SCGIS will be able to continue to achieve its goals for the year ahead! Through the collective efforts of our Board of Directors, Advisory Council, and members of our programmatic committees, we remain committed to expand the reach of SCGIS during this time to build and support a strong, global network of people using GIS for conservation:
• This spring, we are continuing to deliver our free SCGIS webinar series that reaches thousands of conservation GIS users each year;
• Although this year’s SCGIS Global Scholars Program has been postponed until next year, we are planning unique ways to support them with training opportunities during these coming months;
• Despite the cancellation of this summer’s SCGIS Annual Conference, we will soon announce exciting opportunities for virtual engagement to bring our community together this summer;
• We are in the midst of upgrading the SCGIS website to provide a more interactive user experience and a modern, mobile-friendly design;
• We are nearing completion of a strategic planning effort to produce a five-year strategic vision that will guide SCGIS programming through 2025.
Please consider supporting SCGIS by contributing to this campaign or by joining or renewing your membership.
Thank you very much for your support! Please follow our progress in 2020 at www.scgis.org!
SCGIS is an all-volunteer 501(c)3 organization with 0% overhead that supports conservation practitioners worldwide to acquire, apply and share mapping and geospatial technology and tools to help preserve Earth’s natural resources and cultural heritage. SCGIS activities support conservation GIS practitioners worldwide with training, networking events, and knowledge sharing opportunities. SCGIS proudly hosts two flagship activities: 1) our Annual Conference, which provides professional networking and training opportunities to conservation GIS practitioners from all over the world, and 2) a Global Scholars Program, which provides one month of intensive conservation and GIS training to 15-20 competitively selected conservation practitioners from developing countries.