Register for the Sierra Alpine Lake Challenge. Registration fees are $15. When you register you will set up your GoFundMe fundraising page.
After you register your will receive an email invitation to set up your donation page. The Alliance has on overall goal of raising $5,000 for each challenge. We recommend that each participants sets a goal of roughly $250. Once your page is set up, share it on social media and invite your friends and family to sponsor your challenge by donating to your GoFundMe page.
All registrants will receive a 2020 Sierra Summer Challenge sticker!
Begin your adventure: It is time to get out and swim in the most Sierra alpine lakes. The challenge begind June 22.
Document: Take pictures of yourself in the alpine lake.
Share your adventures: When you return home, share the pictures of yourself in the alpine lakes on Facebook and, or Instagram. Make sure to tag the Alliance and use the hashtag #SierraSummerChallenge and #SierraNevadaAlliance. In your description include locations/ lake(this is recquired).
Get sponsors: Raise money on your GoFundMe page for the Sierra Nevada Alliance and support our work to protect and restore the Sierra .
Win backcountry gear: The adventure will come to an end on Monday September 7th at 11:59 pm. In the end there will be a winner of the Alpine Lake Challenge. The winner will be chosen based on three categories, most Sierra alpine Lakes swam in, most sponsorship raised, and best photos. Points will be awarded to the first second and third candidates in each category. The participant with the most total points in each challenge will win some amazing backcountry gear. Visit the Alliance website to see the the scoring rubric.
1. Participants can only count alpine lakes that fall within the boundaries of the Sierra, as recognized by the Sierra Nevada Alliance. To view the boundaries click here.
2. In order for the Sierra peaks or Sierra alpine lakes to count towards the total number of lakes swam in or peaks climbed you must post a picture of yourself completing the task on Facebook and, or Instagram with the Alliance tagged and the hashtags #SierraSummerChallenge, and #SierraNevadaAlliance. If you do not have social media, but you would like to participate in the challenge you can email your pictures with captions to Sara at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will post them for you.
3. The challenge ends on 9/7/20 at 11:59 pm. Any donations made after this time or pictures posted will not be counted towards the total.
4. The winners of the challenge, will be announced by 9/10/20.
5. All photos posted on social media for the challenges will be considered in the photo judging. Alliance staff will choose the first, second and third place photos. It is possible for one of your photos to win first place and one of your photos to win second place, in which case you would be awarded a total of 5 points in the photo category.
6. For participants of the Alpine Lake challenge participants will document and post pictures of themselves in Alpine Lakes. For the purpose of this competition Alpine Lakes are classified as lakes or reservoirs at high altitudes, usually, starting at 5,000 feet elevation. Please note the name of the Alpine Lake in your social post and make sure to be honest.
7. Respect any and all public land closures/restrictions, access permit requirements or other rules and regulations on public and private lands. Make sure you have proper permission before accessing any private land. Breaking this rule will result in the participant being disqualified.
8. Be respectful of sensitive environments around alpine lakes or peaks.
9. All social media post descriptions must include (locations/peak/lake names)