The Sierra Club is the one of the few conservation groups in Ohio working to train individuals, empowering them to take responsibility for their local water’s health. Sierra Club’s Clean Lake Erie Campaign will train, support, and provide water monitoring equipment for volunteers to monitor waterways across the Lake Erie Watershed for chemical parameters. This campaign is part of the Sierra Club Water Sentinel Program, Ohio’s only statewide water monitoring program.
- 92 percent of Ohio’s inland streams are unsafe for recreation
- 50 percent of Ohio’s watersheds contain fish deemed unsafe for human consumption
- 100 water advisories were issues for our beaches and lakes.
- The Ohio River was home to a 500 mile long algal bloom
- 46 percent of Ohio’s public drinking water systems were listed as impaired
Through our Clean Lake Erie Campaign, Sierra Club is creating opportunities for residents to create lasting relationships with nature and measurably improving the health of the Lake Erie Watershed. Please donate to support clean water and the protection of our Great Lake!
The Sierra Club Foundation is the 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor for the Sierra Club - Ohio Chapter Clean Lake Erie Campaign.