This is my third annual SHOTWAVE, and this year is like no other.
We are all living through what it is like to experience a virus without a vaccine
We have all experienced (either first hand or as a witness) the pain, suffering and devastation this pandemic has caused the world.
We are unfortunately also witnessing an epic rise in misinformation, science denial and anti-vaxxers.
This year's 2020 year-long edition of SHOTWAVE: Science Helping OuT World Awareness, Vaccination & Education is held in memory of those who have lost their life; in honor of those who are fighting the good fight; and to celebrate all of us coming together to #StandUpForScience.
It’s pretty simple:
1. Go get ANY vaccine! And get your children vaccinated!
2. Take a picture post-shot (your face is optional and preferably smiling!) of your cool bandaids
3. Post it in response to this challenge to my twitter account (@DrsMeena). Please feel free to add #ridetheshotwave (and #VaccinesWork, #StandUpForScience, #VaccinesCauseAdults or another appropriate hashtag).
4. I will donate $0.30* to UNICEF for each person who gets vaccinated (in the event of person-count uncertainty, I will round up) to help children around the world get their vaccines—creating a “shot wave” across the globe
5. I will post articles often about immunizations, vaccines, science, helping kids, etc to raise awareness and education because (as my son says) SCIENCE ROCKS!
That’s it. Hopefully pretty simple!
Please—spread this far and wide. Send to family/friends. I don’t do Facebook, but direct them to my Twitter (@DrsMeena or post for them).
The goal is simple: to combat the rising anti-vax movement with science; and to help both our immediate community but also the global community with VACCINES.
And finally: You can feel free to donate directly if you like! My pocketbook can use the help; your assistance is greatly appreciated! #RideTheShotwave
* my guesstimate of what the average vaccine costs based on UNICEF’s webpage; I will donate up to the first $500 but appreciate others helping too!